Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am new to Linux. I just picked up Red Hat Fedora Bible (book) and it came along with 3CDs of the binaries. As instructed I booted through the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora...cant install

Hi,
    I am new to Linux. I just picked up Red Hat Fedora Bible (book) and it came along with 3CDs of the binaries.
    As instructed I booted through the first CD....it boots fine but then when I proceed to the GUI installer.....it proceed to to show detection of hardware(in a shell environment) but then stops. It stops at something like loading anaconda...done
    starting installer.....
    /usr/sbin/(or something like that)
    But then nothing. The keyboard cursor too stops blinking if it means anything.
    Thanks in advance,
    Manoj

vvmanoj,
    sounds like there is something that Linux doesn't like about your present hardware (anaconda is a program that Linux runs to configure itself).

Can you post your hardware list here please (ie. let us know what your PC is and what is in it).

regards

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Well....this is my config -> AMD AthlonXP 1800,Asus A7N266, 768MB RAM,40GB HDD,CDRW Drive,DVD Drive, Geforce3ti200,Creative Audigy,DLink LAN card and Pinnacle PCTV. Running Win2000 pro on primary partition.
    Thanks....

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    Ok finally installed....This is what I did. I created a bootCD using the bootdisk.img file on CD1. I booted through the CD....it auto detected my Linux bootCD on my second DVD drive....and from then on everything went off smoothly......until I rebooted.
    Now when I select to boot into Fedora (in grub) it loads the GUI....there is a dialogue box that says "setting host name" and it just hangs.....
    Please can someone help!!

when you say
    it loads the GUI
    what exactly do you mean? Are you getting an X screen (perhaps an GDM or KDM login screen) or is it still only text (but with boxes and no mouse cursor)?

have fun

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    Here is a screenshot....

Thanks
    Manoj

Just Joined!
    I give up. I tried everything.....removed drives, shut down my router......everything. But the problem remains.
    Its back to Windows for the time being!
    Manoj

Just Joined!
    You could hit Alt+D on that screen and watch the modules load. Probably an interrupt sharing problem on NIC and another card. You could try moving the NIC...

Just Joined!
    ok.....I tried it (alt+D) it opens up a console type window with a cursor. But same thing it hangs. It now hangs at " Setting up disks" I think I need to get a different distro!

that GUI is caused by the parameter 'rhgb' on the kernel line in the file /boot/grub/grub.conf .

You should be able to see what is happening by:
    1) editing the line in /boot/grub/grub.conf to remove the 'rhgb' from the kernel line

or

2) click on the "show details"

this will give you a list of activities that are happening. Find out what the last one is, and start from there.

Nerderello

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast