Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just bought an HP Pavilion ze4200 series, and I'm trying to install Mandrake 9.0. I'm having a couple of problems: 1) If the built in NIC is initialized, then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Mandrake 9.0 on HP Pavilion....(plz help)

I just bought an HP Pavilion ze4200 series, and I'm trying to install Mandrake 9.0. I'm having a couple of problems:

1) If the built in NIC is initialized, then the boot halts on the PCMCIA part.
    2) If it boots all the way up, the keyboard is not working. It works during bootup, but at the login screen the keyboard (internal or external) is useless.

I have tried both recommend & expert installs, and I have tried a static & dhcp setting for the built in NIC. I'm a Linux newbie, so any advice you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    FloppyRat

Just Joined!
    Just a few suggestions
    first if you tell the installation that there is no ethernet card then it should bypass the pcmcia problem(still not sure how the NIC affected that).
    Secondly if you set it up to auto-login a specific user, does the keyboard work after boot?
    Third what type of connection is the keyboard (PS/2 or USB)??

Linux Enthusiast
    try disabling plug n play in the bios

Linux Guru
    Notebook computers sometimes are a little too "custom designs", so to speak. It's not impossible that it hangs due to a hardware fault which Linux isn't prepared for, and in that case the PCMCIA initialization could hang the system whether or not you've enabled the NIC during installation.
    Anyway, like yow said, first try disabling Plug 'n' Play in the BIOS to see if that fixes the NIC problem.
    For the keyboard part, check the manual if it says whether the keyboard is PS/2 or USB. Also try this: When at the graphical login prompt, press CTRL+ALT+F1, and see if that switches to a text login. If it doesn't, try this (I don't remember the exact keystrokes, but they are always shown at the bottom of the screen): At the boot loader (mandrake 9 uses GRUB, right?), select your kernel and edit the boot commands, select the line that begins with "kernel", edit that line and add a single space and a single "3" at the end of the command line, then boot the kernel. That should skip bringing the X server online, and just stay at the text login prompt. See if the keyboard works there.

Just Joined!
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

I fixed the keyboard problem, I turned Plug N play off, and changed the mouse option from "auto" to "both". When I did this the keyboard problem was eliminated. THANKS!

Also, looks like I gave some bad information on the NIC / PCMCIA problem.
    After extensive reloading of the OS (I have reloaded it around 17 times), the operation of the NIC does not affect the problem in any way really. Anytime I try to start the PCMCIA service the laptop locks up. Normally this would not be a problem, but I'm looking to purchase a Linux friendly wireless PC-card later.

You guys think that I'm SOL on the PC-card as a future option?

Once again thanks for the input, it has been most helpful. Let me know what you guys think about the future use of the PCMCIA port.

Sincerely,
    Floppyrat

Linux Guru
    Everything can be solved, it's just a matter of time. What happens if you, after system bootup, run "service pcmcia start" as root?

Just Joined!
    Hey Dolda2000, I appreciate the reassurance.

I logged in as root, and started the PCMCIA services, but the result was the same. It locked up completely, i had to power-fail the laptop to recover.

I currently working on getting patches & updates for this particular version of linux. It's a steep learning curve, but so far I have been able to figure most of these patches out. I'm having some trouble setting up another user account with priviledges to create other directories.

Anywho, I'll check back later to see if anyone has anymore suggestions on the pcmcia trick.

Thanks!

FloppyRat

Linux Guru
    What happens if you run "modprobe pcmcia_core"?

Just Joined!
    When I type that command, nothing appears to happen. The hdd hit a few licks, but that was it, no reply or error message come up. Ran the command in terminal "super-user" session, logged in as root. Also used it at the run command option on the menu, same thing.

Floppyrat

Linux Guru
    Also, try these:
    modprobe i82365
    modprobe tcic
    modprobe yenta_socket
    modprobe ds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast