Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am using Partition Magic (8.0) inder WinXP to prepare my HD for an Ubuntu installation. When I go to create a partition for my swap space I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux swap space size limit

Hi,
    I am using Partition Magic (8.0) inder WinXP to prepare my HD for an Ubuntu installation. When I go to create a partition for my swap space I want to create a 4G partition (because my physical RAM is 2G). However, for some reason Partition Magic won't let me create a partition more than 2055MB. Is this a limitation of Partition Magic or Linux? Could I get away with creating a 2G swap partition even though I have 2G physical RAM - or should I persevere with trying to find a way to create a 4G swap partition?
    Cheers,

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You really won't need a 4GB swap file. If it were me, I wouldn't use any more than about 512 MB.

I have 1 GB of ram, and only use a 512 MB swap, and it never gets touched.
    oz

if you have 2GB RAM then you dont even need SWAP partition. i have 512MB RAM only and my machine uses SWAP space rarely.

* try GParted to resize partitions. its available in Ubuntu LiveCD. boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD and look for GParted in Menu.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

i think 2gb is a limit for linux swap partitions but if you really want to have so much swap space you can have and use 8 swap partitions at time

Just Joined!
    thanks all for your responses.