Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been using Windows for a little while now (about 4 months) and it's starting to crap out on me (surprise, surprise). So I decided to try Sabayon Linux, it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Problem installing Sabayon

I've been using Windows for a little while now (about 4 months) and it's starting to crap out on me (surprise, surprise). So I decided to try Sabayon Linux, it's Gentoo based and my friend said it was great. So I downloaded it, burnt it, ran the DVD and installed it, but every time it boots from the HDD it gives me a GRUB prompt. However whenever I type anything into the GRUB prompt it says either "disk is not found" (or something similar, I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember exactly what it said) or "the kernel must be loaded first". So if anyone can like point me in the right direction or whatever I'd really appreciate it.

grub.conf file is not configured properly and you have to edit it. could you post exact error message here?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

kbk
    24 : "Cannot boot without kernel loaded"
    17 : "Invalid device requested"

How can I edit grub.conf from that prompt? I was never given a chance to edit it during installation, and assumed it was automatic.

If it helps any my setup (hard drives, etc) is: 320GB (SATA) HD- Windows. 60GB (IDE) HD- Sabayon. DVD Drive (SATA).

boot up from any LiveCD and mount / ( root ) partition ( OR /boot partition, if you created it during installation ) and post the contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf file of Sabayon and output of fdisk -l command.

kbk
    Code:
    sabayonuser@sabayonx86 ~ $ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 61.4 GB, 61492838400 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7476 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
    /dev/sda2              14        7476    59946547+  8e  Linux LVM
    And there is nothing in grub.conf. I had trouble opening it at first but was finally able to with KEdit, and there was nothing there.

kbk
    I'm assuming I need to write the grub.conf file myself, but I'm not quite sure how to do it, and I'm also not sure if that's what I really need to do or not. So if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

its easy to recreate grub.conf file. mount /dev/sda1 and post the names of files stored in its /boot folder ( vmlinuz, initrd ). did you look for menu.lst too?

kbk
    Here is what's in /boot: boot, grub, lost+found, 2.6.20 Sabayon-r3, initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3, kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3, System.map-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3, and vmlinuz. I found menu.lst as well, but there doesn't seem to be anything in it, will I need to write that as well?

kbk
    I was wrong, I had to be root to view grub.conf and menu.lst. They are both written, here they are:
    Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
    #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    #          root (hd0,0)
    #          kernel /kernel-genkernel real_root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    #          initrd /initramfs-genkernel
    #boot=/dev/sda
    default=0
    timeout=6
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Sabayon Linux x86 3.3
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3  dolvm2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00  quiet  init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 dodmraid pci=nomsi resume2=swap:/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
    	initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3
    Menu.lst:
    Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
    #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    #          root (hd0,0)
    #          kernel /kernel-genkernel real_root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    #          initrd /initramfs-genkernel
    #boot=/dev/sda
    default=0
    timeout=6
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3  dolvm2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00  quiet  init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 dodmraid pci=nomsi resume2=swap:/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
    By the way, why is my ide drive being called sda1? In the past it was always hda1 or something. Hope this helps.

replace /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3 with vmlinuz in kernel line.
    Code:
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz dolvm2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00  quiet  init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 dodmraid pci=nomsi resume2=swap:/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
    By the way, why is my ide drive being called sda1? In the past it was always hda1 or something. Hope this helps.
    latest kernels are using new IDE Drivers and these drivers assign same name ( sdx ) to all types of harddisk.

you have created LVMs and i dont have much experience in it. GRUB creates a lot problems in LVM setup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast