Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a PC with a AMD Sempron 2500 processor. I have 2 Hard drives one 200 Gig and this is partitioned into 3 parts and holds my Windows XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant install Ubuntu

I have a PC with a AMD Sempron 2500 processor. I have 2 Hard drives one 200 Gig and this is partitioned into 3 parts and holds my Windows XP OS the other drive is 80 Gig and partitioned in to 3 parts. I cleared one of my partitions (10 Gig)to install Ubuntu (I was told that I could install this and it would set up the dual booting???). I downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 i386 and burned it onto a CD. I booted up directly from the CD and followed the prompts for installing and cant get past the disk partitoning set up. When I click proceed all i get is an error message saying "No root file system is defined". I have tried to define one but unable to see anything that refers to a "root file System" - any takers?

Linux Guru
    When you are creating your partitions, ensure that one is /

The forward slash indicates the root filesystem. Once you have created that you may create seperate partitions for /home, /tmp etc as you see fit - but as you have only 10GB for Ubuntu I would assign it all to the root(/) partition