Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Suse 9.0 installed and want to upgrade to 9.1. I've created a 9.1 setup disk, and used it to set up 9.1 on my spare machine. Now I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse 9.1 install - ftp problem

I have Suse 9.0 installed and want to upgrade to 9.1. I've created a 9.1 setup disk, and used it to set up 9.1 on my spare machine. Now I'm trying to use it to set up my main machine. When I get to the point where I put in the ftp address (using mirror.ac.uk),I get "can't connect to ftp site". But if I re-start the machine into 9.0, I can ftp to the setup site, no problem. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

I'd be equally happy to just upgrade to 9.1 (rather than set up from scratch), but I can't work out how. Advice on this also most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Stuart

Just Joined!
    Have you loaded the drivers for your NIC card? Also are you sure that you have an IP address either from the network, or from a hard coded one?

-Grim

Just Joined!

FTP Problem

Hi Grim,

Yes I've loaded the right card driver; it's the same card as in my spare, and I know the card itself is OK because if I boot into 9.0, it works perfectly.

And I've manually set an appropriate IP address - the same address as I use in 9.0

Since my post, I've put the same CD in my portable (an old Toshiba Tecra 8000), and using exactly the same process, I'm now setting up 9.1 on my Tosh. So I'm confident I know how to do the job, but on one machine it won't work, and I'm really stuck.

Any further advice gratefully received.

Stuart

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Make sure that you are not connected to the FTP site on another system. I had this problem off and on until I realized that I had another system on my network that was attached to the FTP server I was trying. I also had to do repeated retries to connect at times to get it to connect.

-Grim