Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to make it so that you have the option of booting from the cd drive from the grub menu? If so how do you modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booting cd from grub?

Is it possible to make it so that you have the option of booting from the cd drive from the grub menu? If so how do you modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst file?

Im not sure if this is possible for I've never heard a request for someone to actually want to do this. May I ask why you want to boot from CD on the grub menu? Normally the menu.lst is for when you have a dual boot system setup and you want to change the order of the OS's so you can specify which one to boot by default. In my opinion there is no advantage to booting from the cd at the grub screen. Why not just do it from the beginning?
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Just Joined!
    It's not a big deal. I have a dual boot and it just seems more logical to me to have all boot options in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by lwpack
    Is it possible to make it so that you have the option of booting from the cd drive from the grub menu? If so how do you modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst file?
    Its not Possible.

Reason : GRUB doesn't support CDDrive device name in /boot/grub/device.map file.
    There are a lot of other flaws in GRUB and its not being developed any more because of messy code. GRUB development team is working on GRUB2 and it has an option to Boot from CD Drive.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by lwpack View Post
    It's not a big deal. I have a dual boot and it just seems more logical to me to have all boot options in one place.
    I have dual boot system and all my options do show up in one place. Not sure why yours doesn't. Might be a setting or something, but mine all show up by default.
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Quote Originally Posted by DOllaBillz217
    I have dual boot system and all my options do show up in one place. Not sure why yours doesn't. Might be a setting or something, but mine all show up by default.
    I think lwpack is asking for 'Boot From CD' option in GRUB Menu. Its not supported by GRUB and is not available Menu.

Just Joined!
    Yes, I was hoping to have the boot from cd option in grub. Looks like it isn't possible, thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by lwpack
    Yes, I was hoping to have the boot from cd option in grub. Looks like it isn't possible, thanks for the help.
    It will be possible in near future. GRUB2 is being developed and it will be released very soon.

Just Joined!
    Will it be possible to install grub2 over grub or will I have to reinstall ubuntu?

It will be available in Sources of all distro and Package Manager will update it automatically.