Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I have a Live CD of GParted, I'm not sure what version, and I'll use that to partition my HD. How come the installed GParted in Ubuntu doesn't work with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I have a Live CD of GParted, I'm not sure what version, and I'll use that to partition my HD. How come the installed GParted in Ubuntu doesn't work with Windows? It's that the whole idea of putting GParted in the Live CD of Ubuntu? Here's how I'm going to partition my HD:

12 GB goes to Windows
    2 GB goes to a Root Command
    512 MB to a Swap Command
    And rest goes to Ubuntu

Is that a good idea?

12 GB goes to Windows
    512 MB to a Swap Command
    And rest goes to Ubuntu

Is that a good idea?

do you mean 2gb for /(root partion)

if such is the case increase you 2gb partion by atleast 1gb because 2gb is minimum requriment for Ubuntu installation
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

512 MB to a Swap Command
    And rest goes to Ubuntu
    I would suggest you to leave space Unpartitioned/Free and select that in Partition Section. Installer will create and format partitions itself.
    If you want to create partitions manually then create only two partitions.
    SWAP -- 512MB
    / (root) -- allocate as much as you can and format it in ext3 filesystem. 6GB space is recommended.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

If you want to create partitions manually then create only two partitions.
    but devils_casper don't you think that going ahead with out seperate home partion would create some problems when going for a fresh install over the current one as the user must had to take data backup on to seperate media

and also LinuxGuy03 had enough space for seperate home partion(i think he had oddly about 25 gb left)
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

but devils_casper don't you think that going ahead with out seperate home partion would create some problems when going for a fresh install over the current one as the user must had to take data backup on to seperate media
    Fresh install means new conf files and sometimes new/replaced packages. Imho, User should take back up even if there is a separate /home partition.

One should create a separate partition ( not /home ), independent of OS to save important data. e.g. FAT32 filesystem is recognized by all OSes and one can save and share data in it.

I dont prefer separate home partition because, unlike swap partition, its not a good idea to share /home partition in different distros. why should I waste a partition? But thats me only.

This current partition structure of my Test Rig:
    sda1 Primary NTFS Windows XP
    sda2 Extended

Logicals
    sda5 FAT32 FunStuff
    sda6 FAT32 Docs
    sda7 SWAP
    sda8 Gutsy
    sda9 Fedora
    sda10 Sabayon
    sda11 Gentoo
    sda12 Slackware 12
    A little bit space is free and I am going to try my hand on Arch,
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

The version of GParted I have is 0.3.4-6 and I need some step-by-step instructions on how to resize my Windows partition and to make a new partition for Ubuntu. Thanks for your help.

I can't seem to be able to resize my HD. Is there anything I have to do in Windows in order to be able to resize my HD. I only 8 MB of unallocated space, also there's a yellow sign with a black exclamation point on it next to my Windows partition.

Linux Guru
    How full is your Windows partition? You should also fully defragment your Windows drive before attempting to resize it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    How full is your Windows partition? You should also fully defragment your Windows drive before attempting to resize it.
    It's about 15% full and I did defrag my Windows HD. What do you mean FULLY defrag my Windows HD?

Is it possible that my 4 year old HD CAN'T be resized?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3