Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu on my desktop. I first tried installing Xubuntu, but the problem I been having with this is that I don't know how to make a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Need help with Installing Ubuntu

I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu on my desktop. I first tried installing Xubuntu, but the problem I been having with this is that I don't know how to make a root partition and I can't seem to able to resize my hard drive. Then I read an article, in Maximum PC, about installing Ubuntu, but I ran in to the same problem of not being to make a root partition and not able to resize my hard drive. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with about a 40 GB HD (38.2 GB actual HD size) and 1.25 GB of RAM. Windows take up about 11.0 GB and I have about 27.2 GB of free space. So can anybody please give me step-by-step instructions on how to put Ubuntu on another partition, and to add a swap partition and a root partition. Thanks for your help .

You dont have to do anything special to create root partition.
    Boot up from Ubuntu CD and open GParted ( look for it in Menu ). Create two partitions.

First -- ext3 format , size - 6 - 10 GB
    Second -- swap -- 512MB

Start Installation, select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. installer will recognize SWAP itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    You dont have to do anything special to create root partition.
    Boot up from Ubuntu CD and open GParted ( look for it in Menu ). Create two partitions.

First -- ext3 format , size - 6 - 10 GB
    Second -- swap -- 512MB

Start Installation, select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. installer will recognize SWAP itself.
    Ok so make Windows a ext3 format and resize it to about 6-10 GB and give the rest of the free to Linux and it's swap partition. Is that right?

I can't seem to be able to resize my 40 GB HD using GParted. Everytime I try to resize my HD I get an error message saying it can't resize my HD. Any solutions to my problem?

open Terminal and Execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* -l -- its small L.

Linux Guru
    Is your partition quite full? Or at least does it contain more than the size you are trying to resize to?

Linux Newbie
    What kind of Windows? If Vista; you HAVE to use the Vista partitioner, otherwise Vista won't let you run anything in that computer.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Is your partition quite full? Or at least does it contain more than the size you are trying to resize to?
    Well I have a Hard Drive size of about 38.2 GB and Windows XP takes up about 11.0 GB and I'm trying to install Ubuntu v. 7.04, with I guessing that Linux should take up more than 27.2 GB. And I'm trying to make a partition for Windows and a partition for Linux and make a Dual-Boot for my desktop. So I'm trying to resize my Hard Drive to give Windows 12.0 GB and giving the rest to Linux. But GParted cut resize my Hard Drive for some reason. Should I install Linux then make a new partition with Windows and install Windows on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    What kind of Windows? If Vista; you HAVE to use the Vista partitioner, otherwise Vista won't let you run anything in that computer.
    I have Windows XP.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy03
    Should I install Linux then make a new partition with Windows and install Windows on it?
    No. Windows should be installed first. Keep Windows installation as it is. Windows re-install will not make any difference and It will be very difficult to install Windows and set dual boot after Linux Installation.

8-10GB disk space is enough for Ubuntu.
    As I have asked earlier, Could you post the output of fdisk -l command? We can't suggest you anything without checking exact Partition Structure of your Hard Disk.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    open Terminal and Execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* -l -- its small L.
    Disk /dev/sda: 41.1 GB, 41110142976 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/tracks, 4998cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2 *

Start

End

Blocks
    32898+
    40106272+

Id
    de

System
    Dell Utility
    HPFS/NTFS

Here's the information you needed devils_casper. The information pertaining to /dev/sda1 is in Red and the information pertaining to /dev/sda2 is in Blue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast