Find the answer to your Linux question:
Having had alot of problems installing mandrake 10 on my computer because of the dynamic drive overlay software i've been using to allow my motherboard (which only supports hard drives ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

IDE controller Card

Having had alot of problems installing mandrake 10 on my computer because of the dynamic drive overlay software i've been using to allow my motherboard (which only supports hard drives up to 32.1 Gb) to support my 120Gb Hard drive, i decided a hardware upgrade was in order. I cant afford a new motherboard at the moment but i've found IDE controller cards for around £15. These cards say they support my hard drive and can optionally support RAID which i dont want to use. My question is, if i installed one of these cards, wiped my hard drive and started from scratch, could i boot successfully from it? I wish to dual boot windows 98 with mandrake. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    I'd be surprised otherwise. These cards (IDE and SCSI controllers) usually install a BIOS hook that allows them to boot from the drives on them.

Otherwise, as I usually say - the best way to try is to buy the card, and if it doesn't, return it for a refund. =)

Just Joined!
    Thanks very much! will give it a go!