Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can you install linux on an iMac?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

iMac

Can you install linux on an iMac?

Yes, you certainly can. The version of Linux you need to obtain depends on what kind of iMac you have, however. If it's an older iMac that uses the PowerPC chip (About this Mac should tell you), then you need the PowerPC or PPC version of Linux. This is different from the regular X86 version.

If you have a newer iMac that has an Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo then you want the regular X86 version of Linux. Also, have you decided what distribution you want to use? Most of the popular distributions have both PowerPC and X86 versions, so it's not a matter of what will or won't work. For more information on choosing a distro, try this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I know Im going to start with ubuntu and when I become better I will use gentoo. I use gnome not kde

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Company2 View Post
    I know Im going to start with ubuntu and when I become better I will use gentoo. I use gnome not kde
    Ok. That's fine. Ubuntu it is. Now, which kind of iMac do you have, a PowerPC or an Intel Core/Core 2 Duo?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Sorry but this was only to see if I can use linux on a Mac and see if I'd be wasting my money on something that I can't use free software for. Though thank you I now know it is ok to install Imac but i wanted Intel Duo core not Nvidia proprietary drivers are giving me trouble on the current machine I have.

THough I have one question Are there proprietary wireless drivers? I need to buy one for my Inspiron 2500 I'm going to repair and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Company2 View Post
    Though thank you I now know it is ok to install Imac but i wanted Intel Duo core not Nvidia proprietary drivers are giving me trouble on the current machine I have.
    I'm completely confused by that statement. Could you rephrase it?

THough I have one question Are there proprietary wireless drivers? I need to buy one for my Inspiron 2500 I'm going to repair and fix it.
    I'm not sure what wireless chipset Apple uses in their latest iMacs. I know for a fact that Apple does not supply Linux drivers for them, but you might be able to find third-party drivers through MadWiFi or NDISWrapper.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

The Apple Store (U.S.) - iMac

The one on the far right has an nvidia driver and right now I don't know which imac is the best to have (the one where the drivers install themselves). SO far I had to manually install nvidia drivers. I don't know how to do it we'll and also sound drivers. SO basically which imac is the safest and easiest to install linux on to.