Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok here goes, i got this used computer 550 MHZ(stop laffing its a test PC), 40Gb space and 128 Mb ram. it has one harddisk which i split into a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH9 doesnt work

ok here goes,

i got this used computer 550 MHZ(stop laffing its a test PC), 40Gb space and 128 Mb ram. it has one harddisk which i split into a 10 GB partition on which i installed Xp and a 30GB reserved for RH, which was formatted as a Windows partition. so i started installing RH, it formatted the 30 Gb and started intstalling. the installatoin finished and i rebooted. instead of giving the option to reboot Xp or RH, it automatically started Xp. in My Computers, the 30GB doesnt show up anymore but i guess thats normal.

How do i get RH to work????

Ali

Linux Guru
    Did you really choose to install a boot loader? If so, what boot loader options did you choose? Also, on what partition(s) did you install RH? Do you have a seperate boot partition or just one large root?

Just Joined!
    yes i chose to install a boot loader, i installed it on the 10 GB drive as i thought it would load first. should i re-install.

s

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Installed it on the 10GB drive? You mean on that particular partition? In that case, it's understandable it doesn't work, although it's a bit particular that Windows still can boot... =)
    I didn't know that the RH9 installation could do that, though... would you mind describing just what you did to be able to install it like that? Are you sure that you didn't mean that you installed it on the 30 GB Linux partition?

You should have installed it on /dev/hda instead. It's only from /dev/hda that the BIOS actually tries to boot.

Just Joined!
    nope i installed it on the 10GB drive. RH asked me to do select a drive and i did ..

Ali

Linux Newbie
    Try re writing the bootloader. windows probably has its bootloader still running fine and boots, and the redhat one doesnt get touched.

just overwrite the bootsector on the windows partician partician partishion par... ugh its late.

But yeah sounds like you installed the bootloader on the wrong section.. and its just booting the windows version and doesnt even see the new one.

Or you have it automatically selecting windows boot, with a zero second wait (like i have on my linux to set to no wait to boot to linux because i didnt want to wait an extra ten seconds for it to timeout when i press the power button.)

Yeah one of those two from my experiance.
    /skythra

Just Joined!
    i installed again and it began working again
    thanks for everything all.

now i just gotta figure how to work if :P

Ali