Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, I am planning on installing Linux on an iMac as well and seeing as how I'm a novice at linux and a total stranger to mac I was wondering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux on iMac G3

hi, I am planning on installing Linux on an iMac as well and seeing as how I'm a novice at linux and a total stranger to mac I was wondering if I could tag along with this post?
    The mac I want to intall on is a iMac with a 450MHz PowerPC G3 processor and 64 MB SDRAM running OS 9
    I also plan on using ubuntu or maybe xubuntu to start with, as this is the distro I am most familiar with... Never installed it on anything other than windows machines though... so this should be a fun ride

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by potherca View Post
    hi, I am planning on installing Linux on an iMac as well and seeing as how I'm a novice at linux and a total stranger to mac I was wondering if I could tag along with this post?
    The mac I want to intall on is a iMac with a 450MHz PowerPC G3 processor and 64 MB SDRAM running OS 9
    I also plan on using ubuntu or maybe xubuntu to start with, as this is the distro I am most familiar with... Never installed it on anything other than windows machines though... so this should be a fun ride
    looks your machine is too slow. i dought your machine would run ubuntu/xubuntu just meets requriments

To run the Xubuntu Desktop CD at lest 128 megabytes of RAM are required. To use the installed system at least 64 megabytes of RAM is required but 128 is recommended.

Their are many distros which would run on your machine

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...-hardware.html
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

Smile still in the running for ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by abhishek456 View Post
    looks your machine is too slow. i dought your machine would run ubuntu/xubuntu just meets requriments

To run the Xubuntu Desktop CD at lest 128 megabytes of RAM are required. To use the installed system at least 64 megabytes of RAM is required but 128 is recommended.
    thanks for the warning, I hadn't realized. Luckily for me I discovered (after a lot of reading and poking about) that at the back of the iMac there's a little door that leads to where the SDRAM lives and there's an empty slot there. Yeuh! I have several pieces laying about the place so I can increase the memory and be able to meet the requirements. Double yeuh!
    All I need to do now is sort out which bits I have are compatible... more reading to do...
    News will get posted as it elvolves.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Unhappy first bump

well... I put more SDRAM into the iMac with no problems, downloaded the ubuntu PowerPC iso (from the ubuntu forum), burned it to cd using my latop /w Nero and can't get the mac to boot from it. I'm thinking maybe I can't burn a mac bootable cd from Windows?
    Does anyone know a good howto or tutorial anywhere covering this subject? All I could find was howto's for when things go wrong AFTER booting (like Openfirmware errors etc.) but nothing helpfull to make the damned thing boot....

I have a friend who'll come by tommorow with his mac and I'll try to burn a bootable cd from his machine, hope that'll work... but somehow I feel it'll not make much difference...

Unhappy no dice

that didn't work either
    I must be doing something wrong...
    It should be simple enough...

1. download the right iso
    2. burn to cd
    3. install on iMac

Step 1. went fine, but I think I must be doing something wrong at step 2. the iMac won't boot from the CD no matter what I try...

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by potherca View Post
    that didn't work either
    I must be doing something wrong...
    It should be simple enough...

1. download the right iso
    2. burn to cd
    When you burned the ISO, did you open it with Nero and burn it as an image? Just dropping the .ISO file onto a disc and burning it won't work. It doesn't matter what architecture you're burning the disc for; it should burn just fine using a Windows machine.

3. install on iMac

Step 1. went fine, but I think I must be doing something wrong at step 2. the iMac won't boot from the CD no matter what I try...

*sigh*
    Did you hold down the C or D key while it was booting to direct it to load the CD? (I forget which button it is, specifically.)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    When you burned the ISO, did you open it with Nero and burn it as an image? Just dropping the .ISO file onto a disc and burning it won't work. It doesn't matter what architecture you're burning the disc for; it should burn just fine using a Windows machine.
    I couldn't figure out how to burn an ISO in Nero at first but when I tried the 'Just dropping the .ISO file onto a disc'-technique it came up with a nice little warning screen giving me the option to either burn the ISO as a single file or burn the ISO content. I did the latter. Also on the mac (after it won't boot from the CD) it sees the content of the CD fine... all the folders and files that are supposed to be there are...

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Did you hold down the C or D key while it was booting to direct it to load the CD? (I forget which button it is, specifically.)
    I tried all the usual Mac boot tricks lying about on forums... the 'c' button (which should do it for my machine), the 'd' button (usually for one of those tower mac, but I though it never hurts to try),function+mac button+o+f... and boot the cd from the openfirmware interface... using the 'boot from disk' tool in the OS (which tells me there is no operating system on the CD). All to no avail.

I read somewhere that it might be possible to download the whole deal to the HD and boot it from there using some OpenFirmware commands, so I'm thinking about trying that.
    Also I saw
    It works, but there's a bug that causes 6.06 not to work on seemingly-random machines.

Maybe that's the problem?