Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, beforehand, I'm going to let you know what my system looks like right now as far as hard disks go. Alright, on my motherboard I have 1 Parallel ATA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation

Okay, beforehand, I'm going to let you know what my system looks like right now as far as hard disks go.

Alright, on my motherboard I have 1 Parallel ATA controller. The CD-ROM drive is taking up the master port and my hard drive running debian is using the primary slave. And then this is where I'm confused: I have a second hard disk set as primary master on a 2 port PCI parallel ata controller. This hard drive has windows XP professional.

Now, what I need to do is set up GRUB to let Windows XP dual boot with Debian. I would appreciate it if someone with knowledge on how to do this could help me with my problem.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your time,
    Robert

Just Joined!

Exclamation new dual booting errors

Well I realized that I could change my cd drive over to the parallel ata card and make the linux drive master and the windows drive slave. so I did it. That kinda worked because it was recognizing that there was a drive at hd1,0. However, It still did not work properly because it did not recognize the File system, and when I tried to boot debian, it froze on the startup, and said something like: could not start APY: Job control turned off. I'm not sure if that's exactly what it said but that's close to what it was at least.

About the filesystem thing with my windows drive. I think it might be My grub entry for the windows boot up. which is:
    Code:
    title		Windows XP Professional
    root		(hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader 	+1
    Which I put in /boot/grub/menu.lst, which is the correct place right?

And these new problems that arose, which are the file system error and the linux boot up error, I'm hoping to find a solution to, so that I don't have to deal with booting off of the parallel ata card.

Does anyone know of a solution, or at least a cause for these two new problems?

Just Joined!

Talking Solved!

Ok, so I solved my problems with the dual boot by plugging the CD-ROM into the parallel ata controller and it still works, but not to boot cds which won't be a problem, because I can always swap a few IDE cables, and I only plan on having one hard drive plugged in during a new install anyway.

I figured out that the linux boot up issue was caused by the grub entry. It seems that I forgot to set the location of the linux kernel from hdb1 to hda1.

And the Windows dual boot not recognizing the file system, I fixed by adding the following lines to my windows entry:
    Code:
    map		(hd0) (hd1)
    map		(hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify	(hd1,0)
    Thanks everyone for your silence. Had you actually said something, I wouldn't have had the motivation necessary to fix it on my own.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close