Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to install PcLinuxOs on my pc. when running the installation wizard from live cd i get to this point where i have to choose the mount points. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Need help to install PCLinuxOS (mount points)

Hi, I'm trying to install PcLinuxOs on my pc. when running the installation wizard from live cd i get to this point where i have to choose the mount points. I have this options:

hda3 (8.3GB, /, ext3)
    hda3 (7,9GB, ext3)

Both of them display the options:
    /
    /boot
    /home
    /mnt/windows
    /opt
    /tmp
    /usr
    /usr/local
    /var
    /var/ftp
    /var/www

What do i have to choose and in what option do i have to choose it? If my ubuntu is installed on the hda3 (and i wanna keep it there) and i wanna install the PClinux in the other one. Thanks, i dont know anything about mount points. sorry about that

If Ubuntu is installed on hda3 then you should not install on either of those, since they are both hda3.

Have you made a new partition on which to install the new OS?

EDIT: Maybe you made a typo, and they are not both hda3?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Ok i made a slight mistake typing that, ubuntu is on hda3 and the other partition is on had8..... it would be hda8 (7.9 GB, ext3).... that's where i wanna place the PCLinux

If you are sure that hda8 is where you want to put PCLinux, and you are sure that you're happy to erase all data (if any) on that partition, then go ahead and choose that one.

Set the mount option to "/".

To explain:
    This section is really asking you, "Where do you want to put all your files?"
    Some people have many different partitions on their hard drives, and they like to put /home on one partition, /usr on another, etc., but this isn't necessary. You only really need one partition, and you mount that right at the "root" of all the folders on your system. "/" means "root". That way, anything stored on your PCLinux system will be put into a folder somewhere on hda8.

Understand?
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Just Joined!
    so what i'd like to know is what mount point to choose?? i dont know what the right one should be

Just Joined!
    yah buddy sure... one more thing... as soon as i have installed it there is my grub gonna be automatically set to allow me to boot both ubuntu and Pclinux???

I'm not sure, cos I've never installed PCLinuxOS, but I would guess that it will be automatically configured for you. There might even be an option to do that at a later stage in the installation.

If not, it's real easy to fix that.

one more thing... as soon as i have installed it there is my grub gonna be automatically set to allow me to boot both ubuntu and Pclinux???
    if you are going to install boot loader for PCLINUX,your bootloader would automatically update everything required for you to boot in to PCLINUX and ubuntu.

If you are not going to install bootloader for PCLINUX then you must manually add entry in to grub file loacated on your Ubuntu. If this is your case refer on Adding_PCLinuxOS_to_an_existing_GRUB
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you