Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay, I started talking about this in the Mandriva section accidentally, but I am still having issues. I installed XP Home and then upgraded to Vista Home. In the XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

GRUB won't install after Vista

Okay, I started talking about this in the Mandriva section accidentally, but I am still having issues.

I installed XP Home and then upgraded to Vista Home. In the XP installation, I created a 25GB partition for Windows, leaving 35 GB untouched. After I upgraded to Vista, I made a 19GB FAT32 partitionm a 10GB Linux Partition, and a 1GB Swap. I know that this doesn't all add up to 69GB, but then again, my hard drive never has.

So I installed seceral versions of Linux on that third partition., and each time I try to install GRUB to the MBR, I get some sort of catastophic error that won't let me boot.

Usually, I get either a stage 1.5 error during the GRUB install saying something about not being able to find Stage 2. I noticed that there is never a menu.lst file in the /boot/grub directory.

I have tried the command line in Vista, using bcdedit, I have tried Super GRUB Disc, Damn Small, Puppy, PCLinuxOS, OpenSuSE 10.2, Gentoo, and many others...

EasyBCD in Windows won't work, and neither will GAG or anything I can find on sysresccd.

Help? Please?

Boot up from any LiveCD and post the output of fdisk -l command here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Boot up from any LiveCD and post the output of fdisk -l command here.
    Well, I made many significant changes since then, so I will post it only if this last change doesn't take on the next reboot.

I went searching through a lot of other forums and how-tos, but one thing I noticed is that Vista is never hda1 in the final configuration. I booted sysresccd and was playing around with qparted. I decided to delete my linux partitions and move my win partitions all the way to the right, then recreated my linux partitions. I am reinstalling PCLinuxOS again right now, and I will post either my success or my partition table.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

Almost fixed......

Code:
    Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1               1        1488    11952328+  83  Linux
    /dev/hda2            1489        1619     1052257+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda3   *        1620        4806    25599577+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda4            4807        7296    20000925    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    The only major difference from this table and the one that I had before using gparted was that the Linux partitions were at the end of the order, and I tried making them primary partitions, extended, and (Most recently with FC7) LVM. Nothing worked for me while Vista was in the first partition.

After running gparted and booting into the PCLinuxOS liveCD environment, I went ahead and looked at my table using the advance options in fdisk. My partitions weren't in order, so I fixed the order before installing Linux.

I can now boot into Linux!!!!
    Unfortunately, Vista won't boot. It can't find the executable that it wants. I mounted the filesystem. It appears to be intact. The Windows bootloader error message tells me to pop in the Vista DVD and go to the recovery console.

If I do run both bcdedit commands necessary to make Vista boot again, it will overwrite my GRUB.

It appears that Vista simply WON'T play nicely. I am going to solve this, and I am going to post a tutorial, but I just don't know how soon I will solve it.

Has ANYONE has been successful installing a dual/multi-boot of ANY Linux distro and Windows VISTA using only ONE hard drive with four partitions?

I have setup Vista, Ubuntu, Fedora and Gentoo multiboot in single Hard Disk.
    Vista create two copies of Partition Table and if you create/resize Partitions through any third party Partition Manager. Vista will complain and will not work.

Install Vista first and create/resize partitions through Vista's Partitioner only.

Linux Newbie
    Well, I did that originally, during the install. I created three partitions, NTFS, FAT32, and Unformatted, all from the XP Home disc. I then upgraded to Vista and everything went as planned until I installed Linux. I used QTPartEd to take the unformatted space and make both my root partition and my swap.

After GRUB failed to work, I kept making changes to the partition table, and eventually had to use the Vista DVD to fix the BCDedit stuff. Vista ran with no issues. The only problem I had was with every Linux distribution I tried, GRUB, LILO, GAG, and then with EasyBCD, nothing would allow me to boot into Linux.

Now that I have moved my Vista to hda3, I am going to proceed with the BCD repair and try to use Vista's boot loader on Linux while Linux resides on the first partition. If that doesn't work, I intend to start all over with the XP CD. I will create the Vista partition, and then three more FAT32 partitions, the latter two of which will be sized for / and swap.

Once I have done all of this, I will upgrade to Vista, formatting all four partitions.

After that, I will try again with Linux, and of that doesn't work, I may just keep Vista on here, and use my 8GB flash drive as my bootable Linux desktop. It suxors. I really wanted to make this clean and nice.

Please let me know if I have the procedure wrong. I really wanted to make this happen. I will be running Puppy on my daughter's craptop while I do this....

I used QTPartEd to take the unformatted space and make both my root partition and my swap.
    As I mentioned earlier, Vista keeps two copies of Partition Table. You should not use any other Partition Manager except Vista's own Partition Management Tool.
    Now that I have moved my Vista to hda3, I am going to proceed with the BCD repair and try to use Vista's boot loader on Linux while Linux resides on the first partition.
    I didn't test Vista installed in Partition other than First Primary. Do let us know how it goes.

Linux Newbie
    Moving Vista to the 3rd partition and using al of the Vista DVD repair tools didn't work. All of my files were available, but I was still unable to boot Vista from hda3. GRUB pointed me to the Vista bootloader, but the vista bootloader was looking for an executable (can't remember which one) that was supposed to be on that partition. I wonder if I had tried to find that executable on the net and placed it in the desired path, perhaps I could have saved the day, but I chose to start from scratch and use only the Vista partition editor.

I am currently on a basic XP Home SP2, working to copy all of my desired files to my thumb drive and prepare the way for the Vista install. I still intend to have Vista format all four partitions NTFS and then I will use PCLinuxOS to retake the latter two partitions as before. I will only format these partitions, I will not resize them or delete and recreate them.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    I have setup Vista, Ubuntu, Fedora and Gentoo multiboot in single Hard Disk.
    Vista create two copies of Partition Table and if you create/resize Partitions through any third party Partition Manager. Vista will complain and will not work.

Install Vista first and create/resize partitions through Vista's Partitioner only.
    Vista kept the partitions I had in my XP. I went ahead and formatted them all in Vista just to ensure that Vista's partition table was aware...

I am in the PCLinuxOS2007 Live Boot environment, and I have begun to install again. I had to format / and swap in order to perform the installation, and that meant writing to the partition table. I don't see how Vista can make me Linux partitions. Anyway, here is the output of fdisk -l
    Code:
    [root@localhost root]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1   *           1        3187    25599546    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2            3188        7295    32997510    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5            3188        5737    20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda6            5738        5868     1052226   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda7            5869        7295    11462346   83  Linux
    I don't quite understand WHY hda3 and hda4 are not present. I think that they are reserved for primary partitions... It also looks like my second partition, created in XP, is somehow part of an extended partition instead of a primary listed before it.

So, I am off to restart and hope that GRUB installs properly.

One thing I have noticed is that the instructions I have read for GRUB say to type:
    Code:
    grub-install /mnt/hda6/boot /dev/hda
    and I end up with a /boot/boot/grub unless I type:
    Code:
    grub-intstall /mnt/hda6 /dev/hda
    update:

I know that you said to create the partitions in Vista, and in this last attempt I chose to try it with XP-created partitions instead because I knew that if it failed, I would go and delete all partitions in Vista and re-create them as you said.

But it worked. I don't know how or why, exactly, but it worked. I boot to the graghical GRUB in PCLinuzxOS 2007 and Vista boots. I am going to now restart and boot into Linux so I can set up my installation and packages.

I hope that if anyone else has similar problems, they too can overcome and perhaps post a solid tutorial. I would if I knew what I did right this time, beleive me.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton
    I had to format / and swap in order to perform the installation, and that meant writing to the partition table. I don't see how Vista can make me Linux partitions. Anyway, here is the output of fdisk -l
    Vista cannot format partition in Linux based FileSystems but, as you had created partitions in Vista and only formatted those during Linux Installation, everything worked out well.
    I don't quite understand WHY hda3 and hda4 are not present. I think that they are reserved for primary partitions... It also looks like my second partition, created in XP, is somehow part of an extended partition instead of a primary listed before it.
    Correct. 3 and 4 are reserved for Primary Partitions and /dev/hda2 is an Extended Partitions which contains all Logical Partitions starting from number 5.

One thing I have noticed is that the instructions I have read for GRUB say to type:
    Code:
    grub-install /mnt/hda6/boot /dev/hda
    You hadn't created separate /boot partition and above command didn't work because of that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast