Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have mandriva linux 2007.1 spring (problem isn't mandriva specific). I recently installed some new packages and updated the existing ones via the mandriva control center. Now when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help! System Won't Boot after updating packages!!!

Hi, I have mandriva linux 2007.1 spring (problem isn't mandriva specific). I recently installed some new packages and updated the existing ones via the mandriva control center. Now when I boot and go into grub there is just a black screen with the text grub and no booting options. What should I do? Is there a way I can re-install grub?. I tried re-installing the bootloader via the rescue system on the install disc but that wouldn't work. I am posting this from my vista partition on the same system. I have the ext drivers for windows so I am able to access all my linux files including the grub folder. The boot-loader is the same thing as Grub, right? I currently have my system first go into the windows bootloader and I edited the boot.ini/bcdedit so that there's the option to load grub. It is important that I retain the mbr to boot the windows bootloader because I use dell's media direct which requires it to be like that.
    Thanks.

there is a topic about restoring boot-loader, i wish it can be useful for you.

Also you can try supergrub.
    Super Grub Disk is a bootable floppy or CDROM that is oriented towards system rescue, specifically for repairing the booting process.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041