Can't install RedHat, Fedora, SuSE...
I've been having tons of problems trying to set up a winxp/linux dual boot on my box.
Intel P4 3.4GHz
Kinsgton PC3200 ram, 1 GB
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
WD 80GB IDE 0 Primary, Linux on the first 40 GB, nothing on the rest
Maxtor 60 GB IDE 0 slave, NTFS, backup
Seagate 160GB SATA NTFS, WinXP home, programs, games, etc
Maxtor 120 GB SATA NTFS, video capture and processing
Memorex CD/DVD RW IDE 1 master
Pioneer CD IDE 1 Slave
Marvel Gigabit ethernet (onboad)
AC97 sound (onboard)
Here's what I've tried, and the results:
1. Mandrake 10. Installs just fine, dual boot works great with either LILO or grub. Problem is I can't get sound and video working at the same time. Also it's just decided not to read my CD or DVD drives.
2. Knoppix. Boots and runs OK from the CD. Haven't tried a harddisk install.
3. RedHat 9. Boots from floppy but hangs right after looking at the SATA drives. Tried every option available on tlhe install menu.
4. SuSE 9.1 Personal. Pretty much the same as RedHat. Installed just fine on my Dell at work though.
5. Fedora (not sure of version, recent tho). This is a good one: The cd boots, loads the kernel, and then reboots. I never even get to an installation promt or anything.
Anybody see any glaring problems in my hardware? The Mandrake crap make me wonder about the onboard NIC and sound, but I'm also wondering about the SATA drives. I've tried tweaking the IDE setting in BIOS, but prettly much anything I do shuffles the drive numbers and then nothing boots (except cd etc).
Any advice would be appreciated . I like messing aroung with computers, but this is getting old.
Asus P4P800 And Fedora Core problems.
I've found this
Lots of trouble installing RH Fedora Core 2
- required patched boot CD in addition to regular install CDs
- also needed new kernel
from the following website:
It has helped me to get the installation to boot..