Installing Linux Suse
I recently purchased Linux Suse 8.1 from Ebay. The purchase included 7 CDs with one bootable. I have Power Quest so the hard drive is partitioned correctly. The problem is that I cannot find installion instructions anywhere. Could you point me in the right direction? You should know that I am entirely new to LINUX. Thanks.
I have never worked with SUSE myself, so I could not write detailed instructions on it, but cover the basics:
1) Make a backup of any important files/docs on your windows partition, just in case it all goes horribly wrong. If you only have this 1 PC with an internet connection, go over to www.bootdisk.com first and make a boot disk for your Windows OS, just incase it all goes wrong. Obviously you should have a windows restore CD around as well.
2) Put the bootable CD into your drive and restart your PC. The install process should start. If it does not, check it was the bootable CD you put into your drive, and also check your system BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive. You should be able to access the BIOS using F1 or Del keys during the POST.
3) Follow on screen install instructions. The best thing you can do is to accept default values until you have enough linux experience to specifically decide what everything does and what you do and dont need for an install. Most Distro's are pretty user friendly these days, so you should not run into any major problems.
4) During installation, you may be asked to choose a boot loader. If you are given the choice, choose Grub over Lilo, but dont worry too much about this.
5) Enjoy your new Linux system, and ask any further questions at this_site_does_not_exist !