Required: Idiot's guide to installing 2 Linux Distros on a Netbook
Hello - I'm a bit of a noob, but I have genuinely searched hard for the answers to my problem.
What I would like to achieve:
Install at least two different Linux distros (e.g. MeeGo and Jolicloud) on a Dell Mini 10v
What I have tried
- Installed Jolicloud:
- as part of the install process, I set up 3 partitions:
- A Switch partition
- Partition A for Jolicloud (ext4, mount point = '/')
- Partition B for Meego (ext4, mount point = '/boot')
- - Installed successfully on partition A and confirmed working
- Installed Meego:
- as part of the install, I set partition B to mount at /
- Installed successfully on partition B and confirmed
- Realised that only Meego boots: only one OS can be bootable at a time, so I need something called a "bootloader" to support multiple bootable partitions.
- Found lots of posts talking about GRUB in relation to dual boot systems, but nothing to really explain how to use it.
- Downloaded and installed GRUB (v1.99) through the MeeGo OS, according to the instructions in the GRUB package.
- Stuck: no idea what to do with GRUB.
- What Partitions do I need to create and what should I set the following to:
- Partition format (e.g. Ext4?)
- Partition Scheme (e.g. GUID Partition Table? Master Boot Record?)
- Mount Point (e.g. /boot? /?)
- Which partition do I install GRUB on?
- Do I install GRUB first or one of the OSs first?
If it's GRUB first, do I need to boot an OS from USB to install it?
- When I've installed GRUB, what do I actually do with it? How do I 'use' it to set up a dual boot?
Anyone who can point me at some enlightening links, or better still, explain it too me in simple terms, will receive my eternal gratitude.