RH7.2, RH7.3 and SUSE 8.1 Hardware Problem
1. P4 1.8 Ghz - Promise Fasttrak 100 TX 2 RAID 1 – 2 x 40GB - 1GB DDR to be used as a webserver.
2. AMD 900 Mhz, 1 x 40GB, 2 x Removable HD Drives (for cloning), 256 MB RAM, used as a personal system
Level of knowledge
I am new to linux and an reasonably experienced Win 2K Server user.
1. Installed Suse 8.1 on System 1. Suse recognised the Raid controller immediately and installed perfectly. However since i needed Coldfusion MX on this system, i needed to convert to Red Hat 7.3 which is the latest distribution to be supported by Coldfusion MX. (so i thought, later i would find out that it’s actually RH7.2)
2. Converted to Red Hat 7.3 with driver downloaded from promise.com for support of the Raid Controller.
3. Some errormessages popped up. I booted out of the installation which may have caused all the problems; After this Red Hat 7.3 wouldn’t install anymore and guess what, neither did Suse 8.1 nor RH7.2.
4. Tried to install Windows 2000 server, no problem, worked at once
5. Used Fdisk/mbr, ranish and eafdisk /restore:file.mbr and tried to install RH7.2, no results
6. Tried Lilo in RH7.2, tried to install on first sector i.s.o. in mbr, no results
7. Flashed the bios, no results
8. Tried to low-level format the Harddisks but the software from Maxtor does’t appear to recognise the partition tables, so this didn’t work.
9. Installed RH7.2 on system 2, cloned it to the two disks on the RAID controller of system 1, didn’t work.
10. Stripped the RAID controller and used the Harddisk from system 2 in system 1, installed RH7.2, this worked however after startup the system started up in none-graphical mode without USB support.
11. Put the Harddisk from system 2 that for the time was in system 1 back into system 2, installed again and RH7.2 was fully functioning again.
Errors that occured (on system 1)
1. RH7.2: Kernel Panic, error during making of boot floppy (have to skip), hanging during ‘installing bootloader’, USB error, error reading partition table, invalid partition table
2. Suse8.1: kernel panic, invalid partition table, or system seemed to install correctly but after install showed a red screen with bombs and became so slow that it became impossible to alter settings. After reboot Suse then hangs.
1. Where can the source of my problem be located ? Somewhere must be a piece of information that Linux is remembering in spite of all the formatting, fdisk in linux/ dos etc. etc. Something has permanently changed in system 1 because Suse doesn’t want to reinstall and this was working properly before. Can it be in the MBR of the Harddisks of system 1 ? If not there , where else can information be stored ? What do i have to do to get the graphical version of Linux installed on system 1 ?
2. After a boot In text version in RH7.2, what do i have to do to start up the GUI KDE ?
3. Why is my USB not recognised anymore by RH7.2 ?
4. What does the errormessage Kernel Panic mean ?
5. Can a MBR be corrupted for only one computersystem and be still good performing in other systems ?
Please Help, Dirk-Jan de Groot – The Netherlands