Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
These are the results Code: $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe /bin/true $ modprobe -V module-init-tools version 3.0 $ grep EXT3 .config CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

These are the results

Code:
    $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
    /bin/true

$ modprobe -V
    module-init-tools version 3.0

$ grep EXT3 .config
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Linux Guru
    I see. Did you do something to your rc.sysinit while following that guide? He had posted an upgraded version of it - you should replace your original one with that one.

Linux Newbie
    I had not done anything to the rc.sysinit. I misread your post, and went and updated my rc.sysinit following the instructions in the link. I assume that these are updated.... This has not helped, and in fact has undermined my formerly stable 2.4.4 kernel, so I think I will reverse all the changes I made.
    I'm getting another error upon startup in 2.6.6. The x server will not start, and says that it cannot find AGP GART andthat the module has not been built. I checked the configuration utility and found no reference to agpgart. Any idea what this means??
    N3WO

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Well, the basic problem that should be causing this in rc.sysinit is on the line that checks for /proc/ksyms. Try searching for that line and replace /proc/ksyms with /proc/modules. That ought to make that part work.

As for agp-gart, it's probably because of the same thing - that the kernel can't find modprobe because of the bug in rc.sysinit.

Linux Newbie
    OK, I'll try that. The other changes I made to rc.sysinit de-stabilized my 2.4.20 kernel, so I un did them. Should I re-do them and figure that if the 2.6.6 kernel works I needn't worry about the stability of the 2.4 kernel?
    N3WO

Linux Guru
    Well, I don't know what the other changes were, so I can't really answer that. =)

However, replacing that check for /proc/ksyms with a check for /proc/modules will work on both 2.4 and 2.6.

Linux Newbie
    I left the changes in place because all they did to my 2.4 kernel was generate errors at bootup, but did not affect the performance of the booted kernel. The change to /proc/ksyms didn't help. Also, I made sure to compile agp gart into the kernel, not as a module. The x server output says that it can't stat /dev/agp, that it doesn't exist. When I run "file /dev/agp" I get a result about it's major and minor numbers. I also noticed that the x serve I have says it was compiled for the 2.4.20-8 kernel. Does this make a difference. By the way, ext3 is still "not supported" Is all this trouble telling me that I just need to upgrade to Fedora Core 2 with 2.6.6 included??
    N3WO

Linux Guru
    I dunno... I never had this much trouble upgrading my RH9 servers to Linux 2.6.

Try this one - I put up the rc.sysinit that I use my RH9 computers that use 2.6 kernels:
    http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/lf/rc.sysinit-rh9-2.6

Linux Newbie
    That didn't work, it only resulted in a freeze during bootup.
    Thanks very much for staying with me so long. I think I'll look into upgrading to Fedora core 2 to get a pre-configured 2.6 kernel.
    N3WO

Linux Newbie
    I don't know if this should be posted as a new thread, but here goes. I did get the 2.6.6 kernel to boot. I re-compiled it, and don't know what I changed I do get an error when I try to open Konsole ( the kde command line emulator) that the operation canot be performed or something. The artsd sound process also generates an error that it cannot locate the necessary modules and will use the null output device. I think this is because when I went to re-configure /etc/modprobe.conf as per the advice on the previous page, I received the following error:
    Code:
    "/etc/modprobe.conf: no such file or directory
    Does this mean that no modules are being loaded? Why do I have no such file? I think the reason I can boot into a graphical mode at all is that I built the agp/gart graphics components into the kernel; not as modules.
    N3WO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast