Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face Building minimal linux from scratch

Hi,

I'm trying to understand a little bit more what is hidden behind the word "kernel", so I'm trying to complie it and install it. I'm having some little troubles though.

My goal is to have a minimal kernel on a USB drive with a bash and the very basic commands like ls, cp, mkdir, ... for now. If I get that working I'll be so happy!

I partitioned a 4GB USB drive into 4 partitions: 3 partitions of 500MB each in ext3 and the rest in vfat. On the first partition there's GRUB and a small distribution of debian which works fine. The two other ext3 partitions are where I'll test kernels and all that.

So what do I do?

I have the latest kernel : 2.6.22.2.

I should compile the kernel with all the appropriate options, right?

Ok, I don't know what "appropriate" means so I compiled it with the defconfig configuration. Now what? I have a file bzImage that I copy in the /boot directory of my "test" partition.

From grub I launch something like:

root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/bzImage ro

and it fails!

I am a newbie so there are lots of things I'm missing: maybe specify root=/dev/sdax somewhere, maybe create a /dev/fstab file, maybe an initrd.img file? But what are these things? Any explanation and help is warmly welcome!!! I tried to read some documentations but I haven't seen any answers to my (stupid) questions.

Thanks,
    Qwerti.

forum.guy
    Check out Linux From Scratch:

Welcome to Linux From Scratch!

It goes into lots of detail about Linux and how it's all put together.
    oz

forum.guy
    oh... another good option for learning to build your own is Rock Linux:

Main Page - RockWiki
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks a lot ozar! I was particularly by LFS... even though it's not exactly what I want to do it gives me nice ideas.

But now I'm having another problem, I can't compile anymore (see a new thread I just posted)...

I'll come back to my "tiny" linux as soon I this problem get fixed.

Thanks,
    Qwerti.