Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I made a silly mistake and crashed my ubuntu, but it doesn't matter, I reinstalled it. I'm interested in compiling kernels and play around with different configurations... but on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error in compiling kernel... help wanted!

Hello,

I made a silly mistake and crashed my ubuntu, but it doesn't matter, I reinstalled it. I'm interested in compiling kernels and play around with different configurations... but on my new installation of ubuntu, I can't compile anymore: I get errors when I run make menuconfig. I don't understand because everytting was fine on my previous version of ubuntu. If this can help, gcc points to gcc-4.1.

Is there a stupid thing I forgot? can anybody help please?

Thanks,
    Qwerti.

You might try installing the kernel sources, that's always a god idea, in case you forgot. Please post the exact error msgs for more info.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

may be you are running some dependencies

can you run
    Code:
    make config
    or
    Code:
    make oldconfig
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

MikeTbob: What do you mean by installing the source? If you mean the actual source of the kernel, I do have them of course

abhishek456: I know make config doesn't work and I can't try make oldconfig right now, because I'm installing Fedora right now, but I'll try it in a moment. I'll also try to compile on Fedora...

Just Joined!
    Hi again!

So I tried make menuconfig from Fedora and it works perfectly well! I dont understand what happens with the Ubuntu settings... I'll paste the errors I get on Ubuntu later...

Well I can now conclude that I like Fedora better than Ubuntu

By the way, make xconfig and make gconfig never work with me... can anybody guess why?

Thanks,
    Qwerti.

Just Joined!
    I think you need to be in GUI mode to run xconfig or gconfig...on CLI you will get...can not connect to X server...at least this what I got on CLI.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerti View Post
    Hi again!

So I tried make menuconfig from Fedora and it works perfectly well! I dont understand what happens with the Ubuntu settings... I'll paste the errors I get on Ubuntu later...

Well I can now conclude that I like Fedora better than Ubuntu

By the way, make xconfig and make gconfig never work with me... can anybody guess why?

Thanks,
    Qwerti.

xconfig requries like packages like QT3 to be installed.If these packages are not configured properly or not installed xconfig throws you errors
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you