Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello: I'm new to writing device driver modules in the Linux environment. Wondering what is the best source of up-to-date descriptions for the functions that make up the Kernel API. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel API Descriptions?

Hello:

I'm new to writing device driver modules in the Linux environment. Wondering what is the best source of up-to-date descriptions for the functions that make up the Kernel API. Noticed that some of the include files have descriptions for some of the functions, some functions are described in the .c file where the functions are implemented. Some have no description that I can find. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you are willing to spent sometime reading about device drivers in linux environment, i would suggest that you go through Linux Device Drivers, O'Reilly pub, 3rd edition from 2.6 kernel and 2nd Edition for 2.4 kernel. It gives a lot of details about the drivers and how to write one.
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo
    Setup: Oses: Windows 7 HB and Fedora 17 dual boot Hardware: HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop, AMD A8 Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, 1.5 GB dual Graphics card, 500GB HDD.

Just Joined!

Linux API

Thanks for your response.

I've read the book you recommended-it was very helpful. However, the kernel API sometimes changes as new versions of the kernel are released. Several APIs discussed in the book are changed, deprecated, etc., and new APIs are available that aren't described in the book.

What I was looking for was an "official" and up to date source of the API that gets updated as new versions of the kernel are released. I realize the headers have the prototypes, but they don't go into alot of detail (or no detail at all) for example on what the APIs do, descriptions of the arguments, return types, etc.

Maybe the information I'm interested in doesn't exist and understanding of the API is tribal knowledge only.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

I'm not sure this is what you looking ,
    did u try michael beck's linux kernel internals
    check out this link Linux Kernel Internals or google for michael beck + linux kernel internals
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just make a google search on the kernel API's of the version of kernel that you are using. I think you can get the same or any link that will give you good idea of what the new API's can be.
    One thing that you can tryout is try and search your systems manpages...
    If you are looking for APIs on say "network" just key in
    Code:
    man -k network
    this will give you all the APIs available related to network...
    hope this will help you!
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo
    Setup: Oses: Windows 7 HB and Fedora 17 dual boot Hardware: HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop, AMD A8 Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, 1.5 GB dual Graphics card, 500GB HDD.