Find the answer to your Linux question:
hai... i m very happy with you to discuss through this forum.... i am novice to Linux kernal programming .. but i compile 2.6.18 kernal through my system and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Linux kernal Snapshots....

hai...

i m very happy with you to discuss through this forum.... i am novice to Linux kernal programming .. but i compile 2.6.18 kernal through my system and i got success.. but i had confusion by the term of Linux kernal snapshots.. .... i do not know what is the technical meaning of... could you any explain me clearly... what is the term meaning and what is the deapth of this term and how to use the snapshots...?????

Thanks in advance,
    Ganesh

Hi and Welcome !

Snapshots are images from the developers repository trees. They are created automatically without any human consideration, and thus they may not work, and may not even compile at any particular time. They live in the snapshots directories in the archives, and should be applied using the patchutility to the source code of the release they are derived from. For example, to get the full source code to snapshot 2.6.1-rc1-git5, get and extract the linux-2.6.0.tar.bz2 archive, then use the patch utility to apply patch-2.6.1-rc1.bz2 followed by patch-2.6.1-rc1-git5.bz2.
    Check kernel.org for more details.
    Last edited by devils casper; 09-05-2007 at 11:59 AM.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Hi Devils Casper,

I cannot understand the example there given... Could you explain some thing briefly about the usage of snapshots....??? please..

Thankyou,,
    Ganesh.
    Last edited by devils casper; 09-05-2007 at 11:59 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I cannot understand the example there given... Could you explain some thing briefly about the usage of snapshots....???
    Snapshot is Stable Kernel + Patches developed during its upgradation untill next Stable Version.
    Snapshot are for testing purpose only and it as already mentioned in quote from kernel.org, it might not work every time. Download kernel source and patches. Use patch utility to apply patch.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Thank you very much...

little bit hesitation to take out snapshot to my own.. why i need patch utility ??? why cannot download as simply as .tar.gz file...

Please explain me ...
    Ganesh.