Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a question regarding initrd. As I know initrd is a RAM Disk that includes modules the system needs in the early stage of booting (ex: sata). My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel compilation & initrm

Hi,
    I have a question regarding initrd. As I know initrd is a RAM Disk that includes modules the system needs in the early stage of booting (ex: sata).

My question is: how can the the system get this file which resides on the root partition (or boot partition) which is not mounted? (it doesn't have the modules it needs to mount the partition).

Further, how can the system get the binary compressed image of the kernel (vmlinuz) if the partition is not YET mounted?

Thanks for your clarification.

Hi,

The initial RAM disk (initrd) is an initial root file system that is mounted prior to when the real root file system is available. The initrd is bound to the kernel and loaded as part of the kernel boot procedure. The kernel then mounts this initrd as part of the two-stage boot process to load the modules to make the real file systems available and get at the real root file system.

The initrd contains a minimal set of directories and executables to achieve this, such as the insmod tool to install kernel modules into the kernel.

for more information please go through the following links....

Linux initial RAM disk (initrd) overview

linux-initrd - SourceMage Wiki

http://www.szabilinux.hu/forditasok/nfs-root/initrd.txt