Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am currently using OpenSuse kernel 2.6.18.8 and Dual booting Arch Linux kernel 2.6.22.6 and Fedora 2.6.22.1 - the plan is to move to Arch linux when I get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange boot hang AFTER using kernel 2.6.22...

Hello,

I am currently using OpenSuse kernel 2.6.18.8 and Dual booting Arch Linux kernel 2.6.22.6 and Fedora 2.6.22.1 - the plan is to move to Arch linux when I get it setup, fedora is just for fun.

Opensuse boots fine, Arch boots fine and Fedora boots fine - but after using Arch linux or Fedora, OpenSuse hangs during boot. If I leave it for about 5min it will boot, but the Keyboard and Mouse do not work.
    I am forced to hard reset my machine usually the first two boots after using Arch or Fedora (both with the 2.6.22 kernel).

I'm guessing it's a usb problem as both my mouse and keyboard are usb. Any idea how to troubleshoot this? Logs just say "USB disconnect...."

Intel DP35DP board, firmware is up to date (9/1/07). USB mouse and keyboard.

Thanks for any ideas,

nate

Have you enabled Legacy USB Support in BIOS?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Have you enabled Legacy USB Support in BIOS?
    Yes, legacy usb is enabled in the BIOS.

Thanks,
    nate

hmmm... Problem is somewhere else.
    OpenSuse hangs during boot. If I leave it for about 5min it will boot, but the Keyboard and Mouse do not work.
    Hit Esc key while booting up SuSe. It will turn off splash image. Check where is SuSe taking time.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    hmmm... Problem is somewhere else.

Hit Esc key while booting up SuSe. It will turn off splash image. Check where is SuSe taking time.
    I don't like the splash screen so I boot with splash=verbose in my menu.lst, it hangs after:

"usb 1-2: USB disconnect"

Any idea why this only happens after booting a different kernel? It's not just reboots either, happens on cold starts too - but only after using 2.6.22.

Thanks again,

Nate

It could just be a problem with the way the kernel handles your USB device. Other than that, I have no idea. Then again, I suppose I just stated the obvious. :P