Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, This is my first post, but the question I have in mind is not a simple one, so let's get started! I would like to make a kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distributive Kernel?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but the question I have in mind is not a simple one, so let's get started!

I would like to make a kernel that has a set of generic device drivers embedded, so that it can work a computer without any additional software, at least on a basic level(keyboard, display, networks, file system/memory/hardware control, process execution and management all need to be integrated in the kernel.

Now here comes what I managed to come up with so far(since yesterday... ): The kernel would ideally be a hybrid kernel, its device drivers running as separate services(even with the possibility of virtualizing a hardware component, using processor time and physical memory to simulate functions of the hardware based on the device driver), with maybe a CLI to interact with it initially. Then there would be a separate GUI, whose files and behaviour is indexed in a "System TOC", so in case of accidental deletion/corruption/etc, only the GUI is affected, which could be quickly restored from the TOC. Also inside the kernel would be the hardest part of this system: an "Interlinker"

This Interlinker enables individual installation of this OS to connect to each other through the Net much like the peers of a torrent network, and share information(such as the GUI and non-essential system files(since the bare essentials are integrated into the kernel, and are therefore shielded from any harm), which are indexed by the System TOC, and if something is missing/corrupted/unreadable for some reason, the kernel can download the required files through the Interlinks). Such a low-level integration of network connectivity would even enable sharing of system resources, and the linking of these computers together into a single distributed computer, with theoretically unlimited processing power(in practice, limited be the available throughput of the network and the bus speeds inside the individual computers themselves).

I would like some professional opinion of the feasibility of such a system. I have already talked to a Linux-enthusiast friend of mine who said this should be possible in theory, but it was beyond his skills to code.
    Help and comments/critique would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    ThunderBird

I think your idea is very interesting, but the mechanics of getting something like that going is way above my head! Oh well, good luck with this project! I'll be watching.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    way over mine as well...

I know nothing about Linux, except for a few things, that's why I came here, I thought the good people here can help...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close