Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I tried compiling kernel version 2.6.23 on my hp dv6000 machine, but when i try to boot from it , it gives me error : can not mount /dev/root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem with newly compiled kernel

Hi
    I tried compiling kernel version 2.6.23 on my hp dv6000 machine, but when i try to boot from it , it gives me error :
    can not mount /dev/root /root not found
    I am compiling a kernel for first time , so may be i missed some option while configuring. so please tell me how to recompile the kernel with appropriate options set.

Thanks

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Did you compile support for your root (/) filesystem into the kernel or create an initrd.img with support for the filesystem? Also make sure that the grub/lilo entry for your new kernel is correct.

Linux Engineer
    Make sure to pass the correct device as root device to the kernel in grub/lilo

Just Joined!
    yup, i've checked the grub entry ..it is correct and also the root device specified is correct..the entries in grub.conf are :
    title Fedora Core (2.6.23.1)
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1.img

title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img

since the newer entry is exactly matching with the older one ..i think it is ok..also the image and vmlinuz are at proper places..

Did you copy your .config from the old kernel to the new one before compiling? Or did you start with a fresh source and configure it "by hand?"
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    No..i didn't copy the .config file ,i configured it using menuconfig..

Then I'm guessing that you do not have certain file system support or something, like what daark.child was eluding to because everything appears in order in your grub/menu.conf.

Just a thought... have you actually looked in /boot to see that the files your grub/menu.conf is referring to are actually there? If they are and nothing else gets you booting, I'd recompile, this time copying over your old .config from 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6. This is for CentOS, and the kernel version is different, but maybe it will help you in your next attempt at compiling if you need to do that.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dan..i checked /boot everything is there which is mentined in grub entry, so i'l recompile it..thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by krishnakant.iitr View Post
    Thanks Dan..i checked /boot everything is there which is mentined in grub entry, so i'l recompile it..thanks a lot
    That may not be your problem, but there is a good chance that there is something in the .config that you need. At any rate, the more you re-compile kernels, the more you will learn so it's not really a total loss...