Find the answer to your Linux question:
kernel 2.6.20 included new real-time process IO statistics. Here is a fragment from the announcement: So this IO accounting implements per-process statistics of "storage I/O" (i.e.: I/O that _really_ does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

where is /proc/<pid>/IO ??

kernel 2.6.20 included new real-time process IO statistics.

Here is a fragment from the announcement:
    So this IO accounting implements per-process statistics
    of "storage I/O" (i.e.: I/O that _really_ does I/O on the storage device -
    Linux already had I/O storage statistics but it's not per-task). The data
    is reported through taskstats and procfs (/proc/$PID/io) (commit 1, 2, 3,
    4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11)

I see no such thing in the several recent Linux distros I have tried out, with kernels up to 2.6.22. There are no /proc/<pid>/IO directories (I did see one of these, but the disk statistics were dead (small values that did not change)).

There must be something special I must do to enable this.
    Where can I find information?

thanks
    Mike

Just Joined!
    You have to build support into the kernel as it's not enabled by default and once you've done that you can display the stats in a format similar to 'ps' with collectl - see Process I/O Stats but that's not all collectl can do. See the home page to learn more.
    -mark

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip.

Why is this neat feature disabled by default? Is there an overhead problem? I cannot imagine why that would be the case.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu supports

The new ubuntu scheduled for about 4 days from now comes with this feature enabled by default... I am currently using it to design a system resource monitor....

now the output for this io file is as follows
    rchar: 296684
    wchar: 237786
    syscr: 2110
    syscw: 1654
    read_bytes: 516096
    write_bytes: 348160
    cancelled_write_bytes: 0

Does anyone know the meaning of all these... some of them seem self explanitory but a few make confused... and its not something that is easy to find a legend for because as you mentioned not many distros use it for who knows what reason.

Just Joined!

numbers do not change

I just tried Ubuntu 8.04 and although the file /proc/<pid>/io is present, the data does not change even after thousands of disk accesses.

What gives? Are you using the server or desktop version? Mine is desktop.

Just Joined!

unfortunatly

I have the same issue as do... I decided that watching the characters written and read (rchar and wchar which do increase) would help me identify a system hog as well... although not my ideal choice... its what im stuck doing at the moment.

if I needed access to this information on a 7.10 machine... how would I recompile the kernel to include this module???

Just Joined!
    There are numerous documents on the web about how to compile a kernel, including one in the Ubuntu community web site. I have never tried it myself. I did read that to enable the process level I/O statistics all you have to do is set a #define switch and then compile. There is no other module that needs to be added.