Find the answer to your Linux question:
Although it was a Suse distro I was trying out as a relative newbie, I post here as I might try another and it does relate to a compile. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

revert to old kernel gives modules problem

Although it was a Suse distro I was trying out as a relative newbie, I post here as I might try another and it does relate to a compile.

I went through the 'make menuconfig', 'make', 'make modules_install install' and it all finished nicely. I saw the new was in /boot along with the old vmlinuz.

I rebooted and things ran fine. As it was an overall testing thing I thought to redo Grub to go back to original default kernel, so made the changes renaming the files in /boot.

On reboot the message screen complained about the modules being wrong.
    Only by returning to using the newly compiled kernel would the boot be ok.

The question is, shouldn't it be possible to revert to previous kernel and what did I miss out to cause the modules error?

thanks

please post wish kind of modules errors .

also post the menu.lst grub configuration file , did you make the initrd image or just you are using the old one .

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Hello,

here's what I did. Although I mentioned Grub, all I did when I wanted to revert to original kernel was change the names of System.mapxxxxdefault and vmlinuzxxxxdefault to end in 'new' and then change the originals (which the kernel compile/install had changed to xxxold) so they ended in xxxxdefault. This was because the Grub entries showed like that. Nothing had changed the initrdxxxx file in /boot.

On reboot the screen messages when you hit 'Esc' show errors after about a third of normal hardware entries and I've edited it down so:

Boot logging started on /dev/tty1(/dev/console) at Fri Nov 9 14.32 2007
    Trying manual resume from /dev/hda5
    Creating device nodes with udev
    ide_core: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
    Loading ide-core
    FATAL: Error inserting ide_core (/lib/modules/2.6.18.2-34-default/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-core.ko): Invalid module format

my note here, similar entries for ide-disk, scsi_mod, processor, fan and more

my note here, finishes with lines:

resume device /dev/hda5 not found (ignoring)
    waiting for device /dev/hda6 to appear....not found
    sh: no job control in this shell

This is the Grub menu.lst:

gfxmenu (hd0,5)/boot/message

###don't change this comment Linux###
    title openSUSE 10.2
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.16.18.2-34-default root=/dev/hda6 vga=0x31a
    resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default

it has the 'floppy' and 'failsafe' entries but left them out.

I didn't do anything about initrd. Plus I realise I didn't do a 'make clean' if that has any effect.

This is a quickish reply as I have little time to delve further.

Quote Originally Posted by needy View Post
    (/lib/modules/2.6.18.2-34-default/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-core.ko): Invalid module format

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.16.18.2-34-default root=/dev/hda6 vga=0x31a
    resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default
    This is because the module format is not recognized by the kernel ,the modules and the kernel Image are not compiling from the same kernel source tree .

did you overwrite vmlinuz-2.16.18.2-34-default with your compiled one .

Quote Originally Posted by needy View Post
    I didn't do anything about initrd. Plus I realise I didn't do a 'make clean' if that has any effect.
    You mean make clean in the kernel source tree, no this doesn't affect anything .
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    This is because the module format is not recognized by the kernel ,the modules and the kernel Image are not compiling from the same kernel source tree .

did you overwrite vmlinuz-2.16.18.2-34-default with your compiled one .
    No overwrite. The new compile put the new kernel in /boot and renamed the orginal to xxxold.

I'm unsure the meaning of the first part of quote. The system install was from a full dvd and the kernel sources from it too. The dvd is the _only_ source of software for this setup.

I changed to the /usr/src/linux-2.6.18.2-34-default directory, did 'su' and then the 'make.....' routines. They finished and the new kernel was in /boot, renamed to xxxdefault so there was no change in Grub and I could see its size was smaller than the orginal now named xxxxold. Also, there were all the new 'tmp' 'cmd' 'so' etc files in that tree and over in /lib/modules. Now doing a 'make clean' tidied them all up.