Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all i use slackware 10 with kernel(2.4.26)(default).Yesterday i compiled kernel 2.6.7 (source) from the slackware cd2 i compiled it all gone ok and then i boot my new system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

kernel 2.6.7 sound

Hi all i use slackware 10 with kernel(2.4.26)(default).Yesterday i compiled kernel 2.6.7 (source) from the slackware cd2 i compiled it all gone ok and then i boot my new system alll seemed to be ok and when i log into X i get the message /dev/dsp device not found even if the modules for my soundcard are loaded ok.So i run alsaconf it recognize my soundcard via 82xx onboard and then when i try to run alsamixer i get the message :
    [code]
    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
    and so all the others audio mix applications don't run.
    Any help?

Make sure you update your alsamixer/alsatools/etc. I'm not sure what else it could be...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I was having the same problems. But I upgraded my kernel using the package included on the cd. My problem was that I hadn't had the right modules loaded I guess.

But I now find myself in a different situation with sound. All the sound modules seem to load properly, but when I run alsamixer it says, "no mixer elems found."

Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Make sure you update your alsamixer/alsatools/etc. I'm not sure what else it could be...
    How might one go about doing that?

Any help is appreciated.

Linux Guru
    How to do that depends on what distro you're using.

Just Joined!
    Dear all,
    try typing alsaconf in console

Appleman1234