Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
when I am giving apt-get install aptitude I am getting Package aptitude is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

when I am giving apt-get install aptitude I am getting Package aptitude is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted or is available only from other source. E: package aptitude has no installation candidate. Pls help me. Thanks..

It's times like these you begin to believe a unified Linux system actually WOULD be best...

Do:
    Code:
    apt-get install linux-headers
    and it *should* throw you up some choices. Hopefully, 2.6.19 will be one of them. If it is, do apt-get install and the correct version of headers for your kernel.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    when I give the code...am getting like this:

Reading package lists..Done
    Building dependency tree...done
    E: couldn't find package linux-headers

I donno whether its the code error or the kernel error...am using code provided by the orielly's linux device driver book.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't think I've ever done this, but I'm just going to give up. I've not been able to help you no matter what I do. Knoppix s more different than Ubuntu than I can even believe. With Ubuntu, that command returns a choice of several kernel headers to choose from. Hopefully a Knoppix guy can come over and give you a hand as I've done everything I can think of and I haven't been able to help you at all. Sorry I couldn't be of assistance.

EDIT: One last try... what is the output of:

Code:
    ls /usr/src
    and:
    Code:
    ls /lib/modules
    ?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2