Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have MDK 10 Community using the 2.6.3-4mdk kernel and was wondering if updating to 2.6.7? Should I wait for an mdk release of the kernel or until the next ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is Updating Needed?

I have MDK 10 Community using the 2.6.3-4mdk kernel and was wondering if updating to 2.6.7? Should I wait for an mdk release of the kernel or until the next release of Mandrake Linux? I would like to update if it would boost the performance of my PC, but am worried about compatiablity issues. Will I have to reconfigure devices, for example my Wireless USB Card, NETGEAR MA101? After all these questions, I if still would want to update, what would be the easiest way to do it?

Linux Engineer
    you should update if u'r sure what you are doing..for example if you had installed a kernel before and u know how to do that it's easy to update ur system.take care that the supported hardware using your current kernel will be still supported with a newer one.the only thing to do is with xconfig is to select which modules should be loaded or not before compiling your new kernel.although putting a new kernel speeds up ur system..
    so try it!
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Engineer
    i forgotten mandrake has available an easy update like suse's you update system
    see this:
    good luck!
    Linux For Ever!

thanks, i've never complied a kernel before, is it hard to do?

could i use one of these rpms? http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...tan/2004-07-07