Find the answer to your Linux question:
The people at Fedora included a new firewire stack in the last two distros that does not properly support ieee1394, specifically the functionality required to capture dv from a camcorder. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firewire in Fedora 8

The people at Fedora included a new firewire stack in the last two distros that does not properly support ieee1394, specifically the functionality required to capture dv from a camcorder. I want to rebuild the kernel with the old firewire stack and would appreciate any advice on what I should be doing.
    I've never played with the kernel before and I'm a little nervous about it but this is a fairly new install so I don't have a lot of data to worry about losing.

Thanks.
    Jim

Generally, you go as root to /usr/src/kernels/2.6.x or something similar and run "make menuconfig".

There you get a graphical screen to select your options, but I doubt there will be an option for an older firewire.

Maybe you have to go back two distros and install an older kernel.

So, check "make menuconfig". If it's not there what you're looking for, easiest thing would be to get hold of an entire already compiled binary kernel of that older distro.

If you search the Internet for "build install kernel" or so you'll get some info about how to do it, but without an older binary kernel you would need to install the old sources for that. Easier would be to install the entire old distro again.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    EzPlanetOne has published a solution to this problem, they supply a new kernel and 1394 library. Follow the instructions at this page and everything will be fixed:

EzPlanet - KnowledgeBase - Broken Fedora FireWire

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close