Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am building linux from scratch for an embedded system that has CF for storage and 128MB of SDRAM. I've built, for comparison, two separate kernels that have pretty much ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

glibc with uclibc 2.6 kernel

I am building linux from scratch for an embedded system that has CF for storage and 128MB of SDRAM. I've built, for comparison, two separate kernels that have pretty much the same options in them. The kernel size differences are quite large, so here is what I would like to do, but I am unsure of what issues I could run into. Upgrading the kernel on the same system is not an issue I care about.

Can I build a uclibc 2.6 kernel to operate on a system where uclibc is not present? Glibc will be, since I need the ability to run precompiled binaries on them that were created with glibc.

Also, aside from the dramatic size differences I have seen between the uclibc kernel and the glibc, are there performance differences? I know uclibc is optimized to run on resource limited systems, but does it have routines as or more performance optimized as glibc?

I was also under the impression I could have a chroot environment on a uclibc system with glibc for use with precompiled binaries using glibc, but I want to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by swass View Post
    Can I build a uclibc 2.6 kernel to operate on a system where uclibc is not present? Glibc will be, since I need the ability to run precompiled binaries on them that were created with glibc.
    I don't know when it becomes nesessary to work with uclibc but when you compile code on your normal Linux PC you need the uclibc toolchain installed as you are cross-compiling code.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Linux Engineer
    I believe the kernel is a static build and doesn't depend on your local copy of libc, so if that's the case that it should be fine. I'm not on a linux system currently to check this out though, but I'm pretty sure this is the case. Probably the best thing to do is try it and see.