Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've successfully compiled the kernel from source on multiple occasions for both of my FC8 machines (laptop/desktop) and my Ubuntu server 7.10 machine by following the howto's at howtoforge. However ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compile Ubuntu Kernel on Fedora

I've successfully compiled the kernel from source on multiple occasions for both of my FC8 machines (laptop/desktop) and my Ubuntu server 7.10 machine by following the howto's at howtoforge.

However my Ubuntu server 7.10 machine is a p3 500mhz and my Fc8 machine is a core2 duo e6420 and is therefore much quicker at compiling the kernel than the Ubuntu machine.

Both machines are on the same Lan the Ubuntu machine is Basiclly an old Desktop I shoved a load a of drives in and use it as my network storage/media streaming machine

What i'd like to do is compile the kernels for the Ubuntu machine On the other computer if possible.

Wasn't sure how to go about it, what would I do differently than if i was compiling for the current machine?

Just Joined!
    If I were you, I would just install a Virtual Machine and utilize the power of your hardware without any ugly hacks for trying to cross-compile a kernel across different distros! Use KVM, Xen, VirtualBox, or VMware Server...