Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi.., i hav got a P III 500 with 256 megs of Ram and Linux Fedora Core 1 running on it..i downloaded the secure kernel provided by the NSA.Now can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Secure Linux Kernel Compile help...?

hi..,
    i hav got a P III 500 with 256 megs of Ram and Linux Fedora Core 1 running on it..i downloaded the secure kernel provided by the NSA.Now can i compile that on the exiting fedora kernel..would there be any probs..can u briefly specify step's to compile it...
    thanks...,
    Fr3@k

the complete steps are very long, but for starters, go to the file with the download and extract it if so required, then type make menuconfig select all the modules and support the kernel will need, after that, just
    Code:
    make && make modules_install
    at least in gentoo thats how its done, i cant say if its differnt in other distros. After that you will have to copy the bzImage and System.map onto your bootable partition. then its just a matter of configuring the bootloader to have an option that alows you to boot either kernel.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

this will depend on which kernel you are compiling. is it the 2.4 or the 2.6 kernel?? cause what gub333 said will work for the 2.6 kernel but not the 2.4 i cant remember what the 2.4 compile commands are but im sure someone else will. but let us know which version of the kernel are you compiling
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

doi! my mistake, i only recently compiled my own kernely, but the command for compiling a 2.4 are as follows
    Code:
    make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install
    hope all goes well!

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

Kernel trouble

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    After that you will have to copy the bzImage and System.map onto your bootable partition. then its just a matter of configuring the bootloader to have an option that alows you to boot either kernel.
    I'm trying to put the 2.6.7 kernel into fedora core one. I go about the precedures up to "make && make modules_install" except it's "make bzImage && make modules modules_install"I finish that, and then i just do "make install" the readout from this is as follows:
    Code:
    make[1]: 'arch/1386/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
     CHK   include/linux/compile.h
    Kernel: arch/i386/boot/bzImage is ready
    sh /usr/src/linux-2.6.7/arch/i386/boot/install.sh 2.6.7 arch/i386/boot/bzimage system.map
    ""

No module ata_piix found for kernel 2.6.7, aborting.
    mkinitrd failed
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
    make: *** [Install] error 2
    Back to your quote, i am wondering if this is due to me not copying the bzImage and system map to the bootable partition and configuring the bootloader. If this is so, How do i do it?
    Thanx a whole lot in advance

Spex:
    Distro: Fedora Core 1
    Bootloader: Grub
    Current kernel:2.4.22
    Kernel i'm trying to install:2.6.7

you already made, you dont need to make install again, just copy the bzImage to your boot, name it whatever you want qubkernel for exampl, then copy the system.map to the boot with the name (in this example) System.map-qubkernel. Then you add to you bootlaoder (should it be grub, i dont rember for lilo)
    Code:
    title=qubkernel
    root=(hd0,0)
    kernel /qubkernel root=/dev/hda4
    btw, the bzImage will be in something liek arch/i386/boot but it differs, and make sure you have your boot partition mounted, some people/distro's dont do that automaticaly

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Ok, i did that, but i still get weird reactions at bootup. I chose my kernel from my bootloader, and it looks as if it's booting up, but it stops after giving me some CPU data, and the last line is something about using a certain version type for something. Here is my configuration, am i doing anything wrong?

In folder /boot
    evilkernel (bzImage i think)
    system.map-evilkernel

in the grub.conf file, i added at the bottom:
    Code:
    Title=evilkernel
    root=(hd0,1)
    kernel /evilkernel root=/dev/hda4
    Does that look right?