Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a 32 MB RAM in my system. Is there any way I can configure my kernel to work with only 16 MB RAM and ignore remaining 16 MB. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Configuring RAM size.

I have a 32 MB RAM in my system. Is there any way I can configure my kernel to work with only 16 MB RAM and ignore remaining 16 MB. If not, then how I can I go about it.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    hi,
    is it 32 Mb RAM...i wonder how you are working with? anyway kernel is not going to use complete RAM.most of the RAM is used by only user level process .
    may i know why you want to paralize half of RAM.when others are crying for 100% utilization of ram and processor.

Just Joined!
    Our system is a embedded system (ADSL modem) not desktop. We are working on assignment to reduce RAM consumption to bring down cost of HW by replacing 32 MB with 16 MB. Since currently we don't have HW units with 16 MB RAM so we want to configuring system somehow so that it sees only 16 MB RAM. I hope now am clear on why I want to do this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yeah Mr. aishes ,
    now i understand the problem clearly.but once after the boot loader is fixed the kernel is trying to utilize required memory from the available that is as a whole ( As here starting and ending register addresses are defined ).But for a driver level programmer it is fixed.only option is there to reduce consumption using kmalloc ...like.better consult the programmer who wrote that boot loader.