Find the answer to your Linux question:
hai friend, I am new to driver programming. I want to develop a device driver program in Linux.Anyone help me How to start and give the short description about the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Execution flow of device driver

hai friend,
    I am new to driver programming. I want to develop a device driver program in Linux.Anyone help me How to start and give the short description about the flow of device driver works(i.e. which routine calls first and which routine calls next,like that..)
    Thanks in advance.
    with regards
    vivek.

Just Joined!
    Take a sample device driver and use printk messages in each function/syscall like read/write/open/close.

Flow of execution will shown in #dmesg

Just Joined!
    Hi Vivek,..

There is no compulsory program flow in a device driver like a normal c program. According to the calls, the respective functions will get invoked. First while inserting the module the INIT_MODULE will get called. Then if you try to read from a device the READ function will get invoked. You can write a driver without a READ call also. It will have only have WRITE function to write into some device.

Still if want to know about the program flow means you can use $ : strace <filename>

Rgds
    Rajez