Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i've been having difficulty compiling a 2.6.7 (or any 2.6.x) kernel. i'm using the mandrake 9.2 distro to do it on. i was wondering whether anyone has succesfully compiled ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone Sucessfully Compile 2.6x On Mandrake 9.2 ?

hi

i've been having difficulty compiling a 2.6.7 (or any 2.6.x) kernel. i'm using the mandrake 9.2 distro to do it on. i was wondering whether anyone has succesfully compiled a kernel on mandrake 9.2 platform (using the tools that come with that distro)?? and if they did, did they upgrade any of their tools/software to get the kernel to compile properly. i only installed gcc 2.95.3 and didn't upgrade any other tools (seems i don't have to based on what options i've selected, (my configuration is for a standard machine)). the
    'make bzImage' and 'make modules' commands compile with no errors, but 'make modules_install' produces unresolved symbol type errors. i'm hoping someone has done it succesfully using the mandrake 9.2 distro. if they have, they probably done somethng that i didn't do to get it working.

thanks

Linux Engineer
    the old way of compiling the kernel is deprecated... the following is how to compile a 2.6.x kernel:
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    make
    make modules_install
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/<name you want kernel to have>
    also, you may want to make sure gcc and your glibc are the latest versions...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    there shouldn't be anything wrong with compiling the kernel my way, as the readme says u can either do it your way or use 'make bzImage'. your way generates bzImage and modules targets..my way just does it in seperate steps..did you do it this way using mandrake 9.2 distro and get it working ?

glibc ? readme doesn' say that library is required...

Just Joined!
    use gcc latest version ? the readme says to use gcc 2.95.3 or thereabouts.

Linux Engineer
    the latest gcc version is 3.3.4... they might quite a few changes and improvements in the compiler.. using the wrong compiler version has been known to cause prolems.. also, if your copy of glibc is outdated, it could cause problems with some library functions that have been changed or added/removed from the base C library... try updating both and see what happens...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr