Find the answer to your Linux question:
On a whim I decided to download linux 0.01 from here . My idea was to try to have a read through the code to try to understand how a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Understanding linux 0.01

On a whim I decided to download linux 0.01 from here. My idea was to try to have a read through the code to try to understand how a kernel works.

In reality I had no idea where to start! I can understand some of the random *.c files I open, but I really need to read up a little in order to get a more general idea of what I'm looking at.

Can someone recommend a good resource for understanding this kernel?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Newbie
    It is better to start with new kernels like 2.6, there are a lot of books available Understanding the Linux Kernel, Linux Kernel Development, Linux Kernel Primer, Linux Kernel Programming and so on.

These books gives inside explaination of codes you can start hacking through the code easily.

I m sorry if you r purposefully studying linux 0.01.

Smile

I'm also interested those stuffs ...wanted to go Version 0.1 -
    Looking for perfect time to begin that activity
    i got few links but yet to ready them.

And for an html view of src check here (it says v1.0 )
    Source Jam - linux-kernel-1.0

This one is provided/written by LF member..
    [It took nearly 5 mints to find this link from my bookmark.....as i have plenty of book marks ]

Linux 0.01 The beginning of the saga

But if you looking for advanced topics check to books referred by digvijay.gahlot

All the best ..Happy Learning & Coding !!!
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Thanks guys. I downloaded version 0.01 since I thought it would be a nice easy introduction, and much less complicated than the fully functional modern kernels. I don't want to learn every little detail of the kernel -- just enough to have a very basic understanding of what's going on.

Lakshmipathi: That last link you gave me requires a password
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Smile

Hi smolloy ,
    Yes - it looks like new security measure for that site...now it requires password.

Check out this thread..
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ux-0-01-a.html

May be,if required,you can contact fault for accessing the site through linux forums Private Messages
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org