Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm new to kernel programming. My kernel module commits the sin of saving a file to disk every time it gets unloaded. I'm aware it's a naughty thing to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unique session ID?

Hello,

I'm new to kernel programming. My kernel module commits the sin of saving a file to disk every time it gets unloaded. I'm aware it's a naughty thing to do. The module will be loaded at boot, and unloaded when the system shuts down.

I'm trying to find a way to generate a unique filename every time the module gets unloaded.

My first idea is to use some sort of a "session ID", if such a concept exists in Linux. Is there such a thing as a unique ID that identifies the current "session"? By "session", I mean the time between you boot into and shut down Linux.

As far as I know, there is no way to get the current local time from kernelspace, as the kernel has no concept of timezones, daylight savings, etc. That would have been my second option. I don't suppose there exists a way to obtain the current time after all? How about time since the epoch?

Lastly, although I hate the approach, is there a way to generate a random filename that is more or less guaranteed to be unique?

Thank you in advance for the help, and sorry for breaking some unwritten rules of kernel module programming.

Linux Guru
    I dunno if any of these might be available to your module in some way...

Shell Scripting - Temp Files

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip. I never knew that existed, and it may be useful in the future.

Unfortunately, it seems that very few things are available to module programmers. We can't even use the C standard library.

I'm very confused. According to chapter 3 of the Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide, the functions that are available to module programmers are the ones that were exported by the kernel, and they can all be found in /proc/kallsyms. I searched /proc/kallsyms for clock or time related functions, and found sys_clock_gettime(), which would have suited my needs. However, when I call that function in my module, I get this warning:

Code:
    WARNING: "sys_clock_gettime" [/data/c-projects/skl/skl.ko] undefined!
    And checking the source where that function is defined confirms that it is not exported (there should have been an EXPORT_SYMBOL or an EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL macro right after the function definition's end).

Then what is it doing in /proc/kallsyms? And how can I get a list of all the functions that are really available to me as a module programmer?