Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, What are the schedulers used in Linux? 2.6.x kernel is a preemptive kernel, but what is the type of scheduler used?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question linux scheduling

Hi All,

What are the schedulers used in Linux?
    2.6.x kernel is a preemptive kernel, but what is the type of scheduler used?
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo
    Setup: Oses: Windows 7 HB and Fedora 17 dual boot Hardware: HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop, AMD A8 Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, 1.5 GB dual Graphics card, 500GB HDD.

Linux Guru
    Are you speaking about i/o schedulers or task schedulers?

The task scheduler in recent kernel versions is CFS, you can start reading this:
    Linux: The Completely Fair Scheduler | KernelTrap

If you meant i/o schedulers, then there are many, and you can select them on the kernel config, and even change between them as much as you want. Current kernels have three of these: anticipatory, deadline and cfq schedulers. It can also operate without an i/o scheduler.

Exclamation

Thanks for the info.
    I am talking about task schedulers.

CFS is being used in kernel above 2.6.23. But what about kernels in the 2.6.x series that came before 2.6.23?
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo
    Setup: Oses: Windows 7 HB and Fedora 17 dual boot Hardware: HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop, AMD A8 Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, 1.5 GB dual Graphics card, 500GB HDD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rinjo View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I am talking about task schedulers.

CFS is being used in kernel above 2.6.23. But what about kernels in the 2.6.x series that came before 2.6.23?
    I don't know if the previous schedulers had a nice name like CFS, I just name them as "the linux kernel scheduler".

The scheduler for 2.4 performed at O(n), which means that the running time of the algorithm increased linearly with the number of tasks, the workload.

The 2.6 kernels do much better at O(1), which means that the algorithm should take the same to run independently of the number of tasks to schedule. This scheduler uses a round-robin algorithm to schedule the tasks with the same priority.

You might find this interesting:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...PPqFl2NSqT0TCQ

Thanks for the info, buddy!
    Appreciated.
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo