Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running a system with CentOS 3.9 and a custom kernel module (USB driver). Every time I boot the system and attempt to use the USB functionality I have to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Load modules on boot

I'm running a system with CentOS 3.9 and a custom kernel module (USB driver). Every time I boot the system and attempt to use the USB functionality I have to navigate to the relevant directory and do:

insmod <driver name>

I've heard I can edit /etc/modules.conf, but I don't know what changes to make.

How can I set this driver to load on boot?

Just Joined!
    If you have the source code, include the source into kernel directory and compile there. This way you will have the driver as part of the kernel.

Linux Newbie
    I'm afraid that's a bit over my head at this point. Is there a way to simply point the conf file to the module so that it will be loaded on boot?

Just Joined!
    hi,
    check this,
    also try to search for "loading linux driver into kernel" not modules bcoz, since a module is general.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by raedbenz View Post
    hi,
    check this,
    also try to search for "loading linux driver into kernel" not modules bcoz, since a module is general.
    Thanks for the link. It seems to be what I am looking for, I just need to figure out what syntax to append to the conf file. I'll look into it and post the results.