Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am trying to compiling a kernel by downloading the linux.2.6.21.tar.bz2 from kernel.org then i am uncompressing it in to the desired path in a folder then after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

issue in recompiling the kernel

Hi All,
    I am trying to compiling a kernel by downloading the linux.2.6.21.tar.bz2 from kernel.org then i am uncompressing it in to the desired path in a folder then after configuring the new kernel after issuing the make menuconfig i am issuing the make command up to here everything is fine but as soon as i am issuing the command make_modules at the end of this i am getting following warning

WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel from .text between 'is386' (at offset 0xc1001171) and 'check_x87'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'rest_init' (at offset 0xc10013e6) and 'try_name'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data: from .text between 'probe_bigsmp' (at offset 0xc1002012) and 'init_apic_ldr'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:find_unisys_acpi_oem_table from .text between 'acpi_madt_oem_check' (at offset 0xc1002220) and 'enable_apic_mode'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.textarse_unisys_oem from .text between 'acpi_madt_oem_check' (at offset 0xc100226d) and 'enable_apic_mode'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:setup_unisys from .text between 'acpi_madt_oem_check' (at offset 0xc1002274) and 'enable_apic_mode'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.textarse_unisys_oem from .text between 'mps_oem_check' (at offset 0xc100220d) and 'acpi_madt_oem_check'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:es7000_sw_apic from .text between 'enable_apic_mode' (at offset 0xc1002284) and 'check_apicid_present'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem from .text between 'init_gdt' (at offset 0xc100a8a9) and 'cpu_init'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem from .text between 'init_gdt' (at offset 0xc100a8bf) and 'cpu_init'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:sysenter_setup from .text between 'identify_cpu' (at offset 0xc100ad9b) and 'detect_ht'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:mtrr_bp_init from .text between 'identify_cpu' (at offset 0xc100ada5) and 'detect_ht'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'iret_exc' (at offset 0xc11f990a) and '_etext'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:initkmem_list3 from .text between 'set_up_list3s' (at offset 0xc106d7e1) and 's_start'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem from .text between 'vgacon_startup' (at offset 0xc10f3987) and 'vgacon_scrolldelta'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_clut224 from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc10fc5a and 'backlight_class_release'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'iret_exc' (at offset 0xc11f9f7e) and '_etext'

i am unable to figure it out why it is coming and how can i remove this.
    i tried to download the tar file several files because of doubt that the tar file itself has not been downloaded completly but it seems problem is somewhere else .Can anyone please help me in removing this warning.

Regards

Just Joined!
    Hi All,
    Unless you people will not help us how can we people like me who is still a beginner can leran.

if i will know what wrong i am doing i can try to find the ans by myself.

Regards

Just Joined!
    Hi nayankumarp,

I am in the same position as you in trying to learn a bit still, and very new to Linux. I have found a couple of good step by step guides that may be of use to you to compare what you have done up to the point of running mount module (which you will also see included in these instructions). Post what you find out if you manage to establish the cause of your problem

http://www.suseblog.com/?cat=36

Testing a new Linux kernel while keeping the old one

hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Hi t.web,
    Thanks for reply .i tried that with that its true that i am not getting any warning at the time of compiling the kernel but when i am trying to compile any external module that time i am getting the same warning every time and that very much annoying you can very easily confuse what which one is related to your code or which one is not and the warning list is so long that every time scrolling up and down will be very much tedious task.

regards

Just Joined!
    I think the same thing that causes you frustration also explains the lack of response you have experienced on this forum, that is, finding the one cause to a large list of errors.

As I haven't yet done this process myself I can not really be much more help to you yet but will revisit this forum and let you know if I learn anything that can help once I have done this also.

Meanwhile I can only recommend trying to revert to a known successful make menuconfig set of settings (i.e. one from a working kernel) and retrying a few times over with only small changes each time to isolate what has gone wrong. I'm not sure if it would be that simple to do and would take a long time, but as I say I can only speak generally until I've tried the process myself. Sorry I couldn't be any further help.

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Thanks for your kind help.I will wait eagerly to know your experience about this.

regards

Just Joined!
    Hi.

Just a thought. Perhaps some of the modules you enabled, or modularized during the `make menuconfig' process are still experimental. I don't really know, but I was having similar troubles when we were compiling our own kernel in our Operating Systems class.

That's all.