Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I've been recently working on making a program for copying data from devices (such as actia D-Box: Actia On-board Vehicle Electronics Diagnostics Dashboard Systems CCTV Multiplexing Tachographs design ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How does one get addition/bugfix to official kernel

Hi everyone,
    I've been recently working on making a program for copying data from devices (such as actia D-Box: Actia On-board Vehicle Electronics Diagnostics Dashboard Systems CCTV Multiplexing Tachographs design uk wales Products Introduction Onboard Electronics Working For Smarter vehicles Multiplexing The future of onboard electrical control Dashboard Syst) made for backing up digital tachographs.

D-Box comes with some sort of USB-RS232 link. At first pluging it in just gave an error.
    dmesg:
    Code:
    usb 7-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
    usb 7-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choise
    drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: Zero length descriptor references

cdc_acm: probe of 7-2:1.0 failed with error -22
    usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
    drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
    I used lsusb to find out the ID of the device, downloaded the sources for my kernel and edited file drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c at
    Code:
    static struct usb_device_id acm_ids[] = {
        /* quirky and broken devices */
        { USB_DEVICE(0x0870, 0x0001), /* Metricom GS Modem */
        .driver_info = NO_UNION_NORMAL, /* has no union descriptor */
        },
        { USB_DEVICE(0x0e8d, 0x0003), /* FIREFLY, MediaTek Inc; andrey.arapov@gmail.com */
        .driver_info = NO_UNION_NORMAL, /* has no union descriptor */
        },
    I added lines
    Code:
         { USB_DEVICE(0x0f14, 0x0005),
         .driver_info = NO_UNION_NORMAL,
         },
    (0f14 0005 being the ID of the device)
    Compiled the module, replaced the original with it and run depmod and it fixed it.

Now the problem is that I realy wouldn't like to go through recompiling this module every time I update or move this program to another computer.
    I realy don't have any idea how and who to suggest fixing this so that it would become part of some future kernel and I wouldn't need to do this myself in future?

(Or is this even anything they would be wery interested to know since there aren't propably too many people using this except for me )

UpstreamMerge - Linux Kernel Newbies

Another strategy is to find out who else is working on that part of the kernel or who is the maintainer of that file. It is easier to explain your patch to an individual and he might include it for you. That way you can ride on the back of somebody with more experience and reputation to get your patch upstream.