Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to compile linux 2.6.18.1 kernel with minimum set of features required to get an x86 system up and running. So far I've tried to follow this document: http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling the minimum kernel

I'm trying to compile linux 2.6.18.1 kernel with minimum set of features required to get an x86 system up and running. So far I've tried to follow this document:
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html

1. the paper doesn't mention much about how to configure the kernel. What options are required to for the basic kernel?

2. Grub configuration entry given in the paper looks as follows.
    title Test Kernel (2.6.0)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.0 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.0.img

should I replace LABEL with something else here?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

That's the best guide I've found and it has always worked perfectly for my own kernel builds.

The options you need to enable/disable would depend on your hardware. You need to know quite a bit about your hardware if you want to eliminate all options other than those needed for your particular hardware.

For the GRUB entry, you can replace LABEL with the name of your own device. It might look something like this if you use the uuid naming scheme:

Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e160435f-6a31-4662-870f-eee1722f241d ro vga=838
    You can find more on device naming here:

ArchWiki :: Persistent block device naming - ArchWiki

That wiki entry is for Arch, but it should work pretty well for other distros, too.

Have fun with your kernel build.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot Oz. Which options do you normally use? My hardware is quite common. It's an IBM thinkpad T42/Intel Centrino Mobile Processor 1.8/1 GB Memory/40 GB Hard disk.
    Thanks once again.