Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Dell E520 with the standard Intel Corporation 82P965/G965 PCI Express has never given problems under the many distros I've used on this machine over the last couple of years. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Intel 82P965/G965 PCI Express and latest stable kernels having problems

My Dell E520 with the standard Intel Corporation 82P965/G965 PCI Express has never given problems under the many distros I've used on this machine over the last couple of years. However, a few nights ago, I upgraded my CRUX 2.4 to latest stable 2.6.27.4 kernel and this device will not function. lspci shows it, but trying to enable it returns:
    Code:
    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    eth0: unknown interface: No such device
    SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
    SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
    I've seen where bug reports have been filed and solutions are being sought. Most of the reports state the problem lies with the e1000e driver although mine has always used the e1000. I also gather this bug can actually corrupt the device in such a way as to render it inoperable.

I'm still digging into this and trying to learn as much as I can but thought I'd post to see who else has run into this, see if anyone has ideas about (or links to) workarounds and/or solutions and alert members who use this device to the problem.

EDIT: It appears Ubuntu has found and implemented a fix. I wish I was smart enough to know how to fix it in mine...
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 11-08-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Still having this same issue with new CRUX 2.5. See here for more.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here